May 16, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
When the Phoenix Suns formally introduced Ryan McDonough as their new GM last week, he made it known that hiring a head coach was at the very top of his list of priorities.
It didn’t seem as though interim head coach Lindsey Hunter, who guided the team to just a 12-29 record, would be strongly considered for the full-time position given McDonough’s press conference comments.
But he did say that Hunter was indeed a candidate for the job despite the organization compiling a list of additional people they’d like to speak with, so the fact that a formal meeting took place shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.
Phoenix Suns general manager Ryan McDonough met with interim coach Lindsey Hunter to discuss the franchise’s head-coaching job on Wednesday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
McDonough and Hunter met in Chicago, where McDonough had arrived with the Suns’ front office staff for the NBA draft combine.
Meeting with Hunter was the first formal sitdown with a candidate that McDonough has had since his hiring earlier in May as the Suns’ general manager.
It would be difficult seeing the Suns retaining Hunter for the long haul, given both his record while at the helm last season, as well as how he ran the team on the way to getting there. Hunter’s lineup choices and rotations were always extremely spotty, and seemed random at best, especially when considering he was supposed to be developing the young talent on the roster over the final portion of the season.
All signs point to Hunter not being brought back, and McDonough was likely doing nothing more than due diligence here in formally meeting with him before expanding the coaching search to try to bring in a more qualified candidate to fill the position.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23