May 16, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The Knicks started Kenyon Martin in place of Pablo Prigioni in Game 4 against the Pacers, an apparent attempt to match Indiana’s size. But once again, New York was torched on the glass and lost by double digits.
So, Mike Woodson is looking for solutions where he’d already found them. Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv:
Asked if he would go back to the old lineup, Woodson said: “We’re contemplating doing that. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. That lineup has been great for us for two, three months. and I went away from it last night to go big and a lot of that was based on guys not being in practice and not too sure about Iman [Shumpert] in terms of his knee.
“So I didn’t want to bring him off and then him being stiff. I mean there were a lot of things playing into why I did what I did but that lineup has been good and there’s a strong chance we could go right back to that lineup.”
- Big: –6 in 54 minutes
- Small: +3 in 135 minutes
That’s fairly expected, considering the Knicks have built their identity on going small. But New York’s big lineups haven’t even helped against the Pacers’ chief advantage, rebounding. The Knicks’ small lineups have grabbed a larger share offensive rebounds and defensive rebounds than their big lineups.
- Big: 20 percent
- Small: 25 percent
- Big: 64 percent
- Small: 68 percent
- Big: 41 percent
- Small: 45 percent
Woodson should start Prigioni in Game 5. That would help the Knicks’ ball movement and shooting, and it might not even hurt them on the glass.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 8
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 17
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34