May 16, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
New 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie reached out to his former bosses in Houston and received permission to interview Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson, according to John Mitchell of The (Philadelphia) Inquirer.
Sampson has already interviewed with the Bobcats and Bucks, and the Pistons, another team with an opening, showed interest when they previously had an opening. But Hinkie, formerly an assistant general manager with the Rockets, should give the 76ers a leg up in assessing Sampson.
After coaching at Indiana University and the University of Oklahoma, Sampson has impressed as an NBA assistant. He’s definitely a quick riser at this level, and he’s probably more likely than not to receive an NBA head-coaching position this offseason.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20