May 16, 2013, 10:14 AM EST
New 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie reached out to his former bosses in Houston and received permission to interview Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson, according to John Mitchell of The (Philadelphia) Inquirer.
Sampson has already interviewed with the Bobcats and Bucks, and the Pistons, another team with an opening, showed interest when they previously had an opening. But Hinkie, formerly an assistant general manager with the Rockets, should give the 76ers a leg up in assessing Sampson.
After coaching at Indiana University and the University of Oklahoma, Sampson has impressed as an NBA assistant. He’s definitely a quick riser at this level, and he’s probably more likely than not to receive an NBA head-coaching position this offseason.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (41)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)