May 16, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
New 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie reached out to his former bosses in Houston and received permission to interview Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson, according to John Mitchell of The (Philadelphia) Inquirer.
Sampson has already interviewed with the Bobcats and Bucks, and the Pistons, another team with an opening, showed interest when they previously had an opening. But Hinkie, formerly an assistant general manager with the Rockets, should give the 76ers a leg up in assessing Sampson.
After coaching at Indiana University and the University of Oklahoma, Sampson has impressed as an NBA assistant. He’s definitely a quick riser at this level, and he’s probably more likely than not to receive an NBA head-coaching position this offseason.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 41
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11