May 16, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
New 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie reached out to his former bosses in Houston and received permission to interview Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson, according to John Mitchell of The (Philadelphia) Inquirer.
Sampson has already interviewed with the Bobcats and Bucks, and the Pistons, another team with an opening, showed interest when they previously had an opening. But Hinkie, formerly an assistant general manager with the Rockets, should give the 76ers a leg up in assessing Sampson.
After coaching at Indiana University and the University of Oklahoma, Sampson has impressed as an NBA assistant. He’s definitely a quick riser at this level, and he’s probably more likely than not to receive an NBA head-coaching position this offseason.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 0
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 29
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17