May 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Phil Jackson very clearly wanted Brian Shaw to become an NBA head coach in 2011. Two years later, the process of Jackson getting Shaw a head job is still very slowly moving forward.
Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News two weeks ago:
The Pistons have targeted a bevy of names to bring in, from former head coaches to assistants like Miami’s David Fizdale and Indiana’s Brian Shaw.
Tom Leyden of ABC 7 yesterday:
Indiana Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw has been contacted by the Detroit Pistons to interview for the team’s head coaching job, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
The Pacers, as they told the Nets, likely won’t let Shaw interview until after Indiana’s playoff run. But Jackson, who’s advising Detroit on its coaching search, could probably use his relationship with Shaw to help determine whether the Pistons should delay their hire until they can speak with him.
Shaw has helped turn the Pacers into one of the NBA’s top defensive teams, and that would likely appeal to Pistons general manager Joe Dumars, who it seems would also have a prominent role in Detroit’s coaching search. If there’s a candidate Dumars and Jackson both covet, that would ease the potential awkwardness between the two.
Nate McMillan might be the front-runner for the Pistons job, but unlike in 2011 with the Lakers, the politics could be working in Shaw’s favor this time.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30