May 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Phil Jackson very clearly wanted Brian Shaw to become an NBA head coach in 2011. Two years later, the process of Jackson getting Shaw a head job is still very slowly moving forward.
Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News two weeks ago:
The Pistons have targeted a bevy of names to bring in, from former head coaches to assistants like Miami’s David Fizdale and Indiana’s Brian Shaw.
Tom Leyden of ABC 7 yesterday:
Indiana Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw has been contacted by the Detroit Pistons to interview for the team’s head coaching job, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
The Pacers, as they told the Nets, likely won’t let Shaw interview until after Indiana’s playoff run. But Jackson, who’s advising Detroit on its coaching search, could probably use his relationship with Shaw to help determine whether the Pistons should delay their hire until they can speak with him.
Shaw has helped turn the Pacers into one of the NBA’s top defensive teams, and that would likely appeal to Pistons general manager Joe Dumars, who it seems would also have a prominent role in Detroit’s coaching search. If there’s a candidate Dumars and Jackson both covet, that would ease the potential awkwardness between the two.
Nate McMillan might be the front-runner for the Pistons job, but unlike in 2011 with the Lakers, the politics could be working in Shaw’s favor this time.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 4
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7