May 15, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Nate McMillan interviewed with the Atlanta Hawks for their head coaching job on Wednesday, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
The Hawks still have their current head coach Larry Drew under contract through the end of June, but he’s not expected to be retained. Drew has been given permission to interview elsewhere during the process, although Atlanta’s GM Danny Ferry hasn’t completely ruled out bringing Drew back.
As for McMillan, he posted a sub-.500 record over seven seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers, and never led the team past the first round of the playoffs, while reaching the postseason there three times. He has a reputation as a defensive-minded coach and as a bit of a disciplinarian, which are both qualities the Hawks could desperately use if the team does indeed decide to make a coaching change.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 0
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 7
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6