May 15, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Nate McMillan interviewed with the Atlanta Hawks for their head coaching job on Wednesday, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
The Hawks still have their current head coach Larry Drew under contract through the end of June, but he’s not expected to be retained. Drew has been given permission to interview elsewhere during the process, although Atlanta’s GM Danny Ferry hasn’t completely ruled out bringing Drew back.
As for McMillan, he posted a sub-.500 record over seven seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers, and never led the team past the first round of the playoffs, while reaching the postseason there three times. He has a reputation as a defensive-minded coach and as a bit of a disciplinarian, which are both qualities the Hawks could desperately use if the team does indeed decide to make a coaching change.
- Timberwolves’ coach Rick Adelman announcenes retirement 7
- Knicks fire Mike Woodson 29
- Monday NBA playoff previews: Expect a different looking Clippers/Warriors game. 1
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 5
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 17