May 15, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The answer is $56.5 million.
If you wondered how much money LeBron James made last year, there is the answer to your query.
That is the second most of any athlete in the United States, according to Sports Illustrated and its annual Top 50 earners report that came out Wednesday. LeBron trailed only Floyd Mayweather ($90 million). But there are a dozen other NBA players in the top 50 — it pays to be very good at basketball. It pays very well.
In LeBron’s case he made $17.5 million in salary (remember he took a little less than the max) and had $39 million in endorsement dollars. As I tried to tell the LeBron haters after “The Decision” — winning cures all ills in American sports and if he won his legacy and endorsements would be virtually undamaged. They are. Last year he picked up a Samsung deal as well as Baskin-Robbins, that is on top of his massive Nike deal.
What’s strange is he doesn’t have a signature commercial right now. Seriously, when was the last good LeBron commercial?
Kobe Bryant comes in at fourth on the SI list, thanks in part to his cap-destroying 27.8 million in salary last season (that jumps to $30 million next season, so expect him back on the list). He also still has $19 million in endorsements. He’s got a sweet Nike deal, too.
Third among NBA players and seventh overall on the SI list is Derrick Rose. And the entire city of Chicago rolled its eyes at once. He made $16.4 million in salary and had $17 million in endorsements thanks to a massive Adidas deal.
The other NBA players on the list (and their rank on the SI standings):
11. Dwyane Wade, $28.7 million
12. Kevin Durant, $27.7 million
16. Carmelo Anthony, $25.3 million
24. Amar’e Stoudemire, $23.5 million
31. Dwight Howard, $21.9 million
33. Chris Paul, $21.6 million
35. Dirk Nowitzki, $21.3 million
37. Pau Gasol, $21.1 million
43. Joe Johnson, $19.95 million
47. Chris Bosh, $18.5 million
For comparison’s sake, there are 25 baseball players and eight football players on the list.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
He had 30 points on 18 shots.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Clippers point guard on his own level in post-Magic Johnson NBA
Oct 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Carter still has some bounce.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Rondo praises head coach Brad Stevens’ success on the college level.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He still has an antitrust suit pending against the NBA.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
It’s only preseason, but the 2011 league MVP looks like his old self.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The proposed changes would give the four worst teams the same odds of winning the No. 1 pick in the draft.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He’s moving well considered what happened to his leg just back in July.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
So does ‘Nique and Chris Webber.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Well, there are worse things on television.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Steve Koonin promoting Hawks’ season opener, which includes T.I. performances
Oct 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
The real question is who will be the better team by late May.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
When Stephenson brought his game to Charlotte this season, he clearly brought the flopping with him.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
How will Indiana score?
Oct 20, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Anonymous executives, agents slam Kobe in ESPN article
Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Detroit also cuts Brian Cook, Josh Bostic and Lorenzo Brown
Oct 20, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
I’m unconvinced one had much to do with the other
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Door even more open for Ronnie Price and Wayne Ellington to make roster
Oct 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
How did LeBron get Kevin Love, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller and James Jones to join the Cavaliers?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Smart money should go on LeBron James, but there will be serious challengers.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31