May 15, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The answer is $56.5 million.
If you wondered how much money LeBron James made last year, there is the answer to your query.
That is the second most of any athlete in the United States, according to Sports Illustrated and its annual Top 50 earners report that came out Wednesday. LeBron trailed only Floyd Mayweather ($90 million). But there are a dozen other NBA players in the top 50 — it pays to be very good at basketball. It pays very well.
In LeBron’s case he made $17.5 million in salary (remember he took a little less than the max) and had $39 million in endorsement dollars. As I tried to tell the LeBron haters after “The Decision” — winning cures all ills in American sports and if he won his legacy and endorsements would be virtually undamaged. They are. Last year he picked up a Samsung deal as well as Baskin-Robbins, that is on top of his massive Nike deal.
What’s strange is he doesn’t have a signature commercial right now. Seriously, when was the last good LeBron commercial?
Kobe Bryant comes in at fourth on the SI list, thanks in part to his cap-destroying 27.8 million in salary last season (that jumps to $30 million next season, so expect him back on the list). He also still has $19 million in endorsements. He’s got a sweet Nike deal, too.
Third among NBA players and seventh overall on the SI list is Derrick Rose. And the entire city of Chicago rolled its eyes at once. He made $16.4 million in salary and had $17 million in endorsements thanks to a massive Adidas deal.
The other NBA players on the list (and their rank on the SI standings):
11. Dwyane Wade, $28.7 million
12. Kevin Durant, $27.7 million
16. Carmelo Anthony, $25.3 million
24. Amar’e Stoudemire, $23.5 million
31. Dwight Howard, $21.9 million
33. Chris Paul, $21.6 million
35. Dirk Nowitzki, $21.3 million
37. Pau Gasol, $21.1 million
43. Joe Johnson, $19.95 million
47. Chris Bosh, $18.5 million
For comparison’s sake, there are 25 baseball players and eight football players on the list.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Come on, son.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
Casspi ends up back with the Kings on a minimum salary deal.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Magic rookie shows off handles
Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
George Karl is a better coach than Byron Scott
Jul 25, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Finally. Job has been vacant since April 30.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Knicks’ record last season: 37-45
Melo’s contract value: $124,064,681
Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt
Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Former Bull and Piston sat out last season
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue
Jul 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Not a Cleveland Cavaliers beat reporter. A LeBron James beat reporter.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Rookie big man has been mentioned in Kevin Love trade rumors
Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Timberwolves reportedly come to their senses, prefer Andrew Wiggins to Klay Thompson
Jul 25, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Francisco Garcia opted out of a veteran minimum deal, he will re-sign for a veteran minimum deal.
Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about”
Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It benefits CP3, the president of the players’ union, to talk tough on this issue.
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 23
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 30
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91