May 15, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The answer is $56.5 million.
If you wondered how much money LeBron James made last year, there is the answer to your query.
That is the second most of any athlete in the United States, according to Sports Illustrated and its annual Top 50 earners report that came out Wednesday. LeBron trailed only Floyd Mayweather ($90 million). But there are a dozen other NBA players in the top 50 — it pays to be very good at basketball. It pays very well.
In LeBron’s case he made $17.5 million in salary (remember he took a little less than the max) and had $39 million in endorsement dollars. As I tried to tell the LeBron haters after “The Decision” — winning cures all ills in American sports and if he won his legacy and endorsements would be virtually undamaged. They are. Last year he picked up a Samsung deal as well as Baskin-Robbins, that is on top of his massive Nike deal.
What’s strange is he doesn’t have a signature commercial right now. Seriously, when was the last good LeBron commercial?
Kobe Bryant comes in at fourth on the SI list, thanks in part to his cap-destroying 27.8 million in salary last season (that jumps to $30 million next season, so expect him back on the list). He also still has $19 million in endorsements. He’s got a sweet Nike deal, too.
Third among NBA players and seventh overall on the SI list is Derrick Rose. And the entire city of Chicago rolled its eyes at once. He made $16.4 million in salary and had $17 million in endorsements thanks to a massive Adidas deal.
The other NBA players on the list (and their rank on the SI standings):
11. Dwyane Wade, $28.7 million
12. Kevin Durant, $27.7 million
16. Carmelo Anthony, $25.3 million
24. Amar’e Stoudemire, $23.5 million
31. Dwight Howard, $21.9 million
33. Chris Paul, $21.6 million
35. Dirk Nowitzki, $21.3 million
37. Pau Gasol, $21.1 million
43. Joe Johnson, $19.95 million
47. Chris Bosh, $18.5 million
For comparison’s sake, there are 25 baseball players and eight football players on the list.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12