May 15, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
With Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni at their disposal, the Knicks successfully implemented sets during the regular season that took advantage of having two point guards on the floor. Still, New York used one or fewer point guard more often than not.
- With at least two point guards: +264 in 43 percent minutes
- With one or fewer point guards: +84 in 58 percent of minutes
That’s fine. The regular season is for experimenting, and smart teams take the information they glean and apply it in the playoffs. For their first nine playoff games, the Knicks seemed like one of those smart teams. In that span, the Knicks more than flipped the script, giving significantly more playing time to two-point-guard lineups. To do so, Mike Woodson probably had to pick less-than-perfect spots to play those dual PGs, which would lower their efficiency but was probably still worthwhile.
- With at least two point guards: +21 in 68 percent of minutes
- With one or fewer point guards: +19 in 32 percent of minutes
But Woodson strayed from that strategy in Game 4 against the Pacers. First of all, the Knicks started Kenyon Martin in place of Prigioni, giving New York a lineup with only one point guard right off the bat. Martin’s size theoretically could have help against the Pacers, but that didn’t work. Instead the shift just set in motion a gameplan that marginalized the Knicks’ two-point-guard sets in Game 4:
- With at least two point guards: -12 in 21 percent of minutes
- With one or fewer point guards: +1 in 79 percent of minutes
At first glance, it appears Woodson made a wise move to use more single-PG lineups. But not all point-guard combinations are created equal – especially when Kidd can’t score. Here’s how each point-guard combination has performed in the playoffs:
- Felton-Kidd: –37 in 148 minutes
- Felton-Prigioni: +31 in 120 minutes
- Kidd-Prigioni: +39 in 65 minutes
Woodson, of course, used Felton-Kidd for 70 percent of the Knicks’ two-PG minutes in Game 4 and didn’t play Felton and Prigioni together at all.
The Knicks have gone away from what works for them in a doomed attempt to solve the problems that have plagued them all season and will likely continue to plague them. Instead, they should stick with their strengths – including playing two point guards together.
Aug 5, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
Would Beal take just a little below max money?
Aug 5, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
File this under “what did you expect him to say?”
Aug 5, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Space Jam 2, anyone?
Aug 5, 2015, 1:24 AM EDT
At least it’s Tupac, it could have been worse.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Nike’s KD8 Suit goes on sale August 14.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Aldridge has too many pairs to fill his closet as it is.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Exum suffered the injury in an exhibition game in Slovenia.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Bradley Beal also headed to Las Vegas
Aug 4, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
That would derail a lot of the Jazz’s positive momentum
Aug 4, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
Aug 4, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Everything good now between the Kings franchise player and coach?
Aug 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
This is the real deal
Aug 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EDT
Exum was playing for Australia against Slovenia
Aug 4, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Will former Iowa State star make Orlando’s team?
Aug 4, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
If you don’t get it, ask someone younger
Aug 4, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Kobe doesn’t know how he’ll feel next summer. You can’t blame him for that.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
No. No they will not.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The Serbian national team is expected to protest it.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9