May 15, 2013, 2:04 AM EDT
Kawhi Leonard isn’t a flashy player. In fact, the next time you see him make a fuss about anything on the floor or try to draw attention to himself will be the first time.
Most of the time you see him doing the little things that make the Spurs offense work the way it needs to. He spots up in the corner and knocks down corner threes, comes off screens to curl into the paint where he can hit little jumpers, and he can even run the pick and roll every once and while to create a good shot for himself or a teammate. He’s a steady player who brings a fundamentally sound game to the floor and knows how to deploy it.
But just because he’s mostly a low key player who plays his role to a tee doesn’t mean he can’t make the spectacular play. Something that Harrison Barnes found out all too well in the Spurs game 5 win over the Warriors.
After the Spurs forced a steal, Leonard changed ends wonderfully and received a great lead bounce pass from Danny Green. After making the catch, Leonard took two big strides, rose up, and dunked right over the top of Barnes. Watching it live it looked like a very good dunk, but in slow motion you really get the full effect.
Leonard’s poise and patience have been on full display these playoffs and he continues to make his name as an up and coming talent with star potential. If he keeps making plays like the one above, that recognition will come even faster.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31