May 15, 2013, 8:42 AM EST
Eric Gordon missed the first 29 games of the season, skipping out of New Orleans to rehab his knee (following surgery) back in Los Angeles. That didn’t sit well with then Hornets/now Pelicans fans.
When he did return, he was on a minutes/games restriction (for example, no back-to-backs until the very end of the season) and when he did play he wasn’t his old self. He averaged 17 points a game but only was shooting 40.2 percent, with a PER right at the league average of 15.4.
Gordon blamed part of that on injuries and, as we told you last week, he had surgery to clean up his ankles last week.
But it was worse than he let on — Gordon played through bone spurs after the All-Star break, reports the Times-Picyune.
“My ankle bothered me everyday, even on days when I wasn’t active,” Gordon said in an email response after he was contacted on Tuesday. “I had a minor procedure done, because I have been dealing with bone spurs since the all-star break. I wanted to get the surgery done now so I can go into training camp at 100 percent healthy and be in top shape.”
Gordon’s numbers after the All-Star break were pretty similar to those before: He averaged 16.4 points a game before and 17.4 after, with an almost identical overall shooting percentage (his three point shooting did drop 5 percent). That said, his offensive rating (points scored per 100 possessions) did dive five points and his defense got worse. He wasn’t right.
Gordon will be back in Los Angeles much of the summer but may make some of the Pelican’s voluntary summer workouts, he told the paper. He was frustrated by the assortment of injuries last season slowing him down and said he just wants to get healthy.
The Pelicans are going to shop Gordon around this summer, but the likely will not find an offer for a max player coming off surgeries and a tough year.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8