May 14, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
After undergoing a procedure in both knees just last week, and with an announced recovery time of three months before he could return to basketball-related activities, most weren’t expecting Pau Gasol to be ready in time to join the Spanish national team for Eurobasket this summer.
On Tuesday, Gasol confirmed it by posting an open letter to fans on his website.
Here it is in its entirety, just the way it was published:
“To all the basketball fans: In order to avoid future problems, on May 9 I underwent a simple procedure to debride degenerated tissue of the patellar tendons of my knees non-surgically.
After valuing the period of the rehabilitation, which I have already initiated, with my medical team of confidence, I sadly confirm that I won’t play in the next European Championship of Slovenia despite I wished it.
My priority aim is to recover myself thinking in the next season and to be ready, if I’m asked to, for the next challenge with the national team, the World Cup of Spain 2014.
Wishing the best for the Team in Slovenia”,
Sounds like someone may have translated that from Spanish to English and posted it, but you get the idea.
Gasol has had a long and successful history in playing for Spain in international competition, most recently helping them to a silver medal in the 2012 Olympics.
Injuries limited Gasol to playing just 49 regular season games for the Lakers, and his scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage, and minutes played were all significantly below his career averages.
Eurobasket 2013 is scheduled to take place in Slovenia from September 4th through the 22nd.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32