May 14, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
After undergoing a procedure in both knees just last week, and with an announced recovery time of three months before he could return to basketball-related activities, most weren’t expecting Pau Gasol to be ready in time to join the Spanish national team for Eurobasket this summer.
On Tuesday, Gasol confirmed it by posting an open letter to fans on his website.
Here it is in its entirety, just the way it was published:
“To all the basketball fans: In order to avoid future problems, on May 9 I underwent a simple procedure to debride degenerated tissue of the patellar tendons of my knees non-surgically.
After valuing the period of the rehabilitation, which I have already initiated, with my medical team of confidence, I sadly confirm that I won’t play in the next European Championship of Slovenia despite I wished it.
My priority aim is to recover myself thinking in the next season and to be ready, if I’m asked to, for the next challenge with the national team, the World Cup of Spain 2014.
Wishing the best for the Team in Slovenia”,
Sounds like someone may have translated that from Spanish to English and posted it, but you get the idea.
Gasol has had a long and successful history in playing for Spain in international competition, most recently helping them to a silver medal in the 2012 Olympics.
Injuries limited Gasol to playing just 49 regular season games for the Lakers, and his scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage, and minutes played were all significantly below his career averages.
Eurobasket 2013 is scheduled to take place in Slovenia from September 4th through the 22nd.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6