Pau Gasol confirms he won’t play for Spanish national team at Eurobasket this summer

May 14, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT

Olympics Day 4 - Basketball Getty Images

After undergoing a procedure in both knees just last week, and with an announced recovery time of three months before he could return to basketball-related activities, most weren’t expecting Pau Gasol to be ready in time to join the Spanish national team for Eurobasket this summer.

On Tuesday, Gasol confirmed it by posting an open letter to fans on his website.

Here it is in its entirety, just the way it was published:

“To all the basketball fans: In order to avoid future problems, on May 9 I underwent a simple procedure to debride degenerated tissue of the patellar tendons of my knees non-surgically.

After valuing the period of the rehabilitation, which I have already initiated, with my medical team of confidence, I sadly confirm that I won’t play in the next European Championship of Slovenia despite I wished it.

My priority aim is to recover myself thinking in the next season and to be ready, if I’m asked to, for the next challenge with the national team, the World Cup of Spain 2014.

Wishing the best for the Team in Slovenia”,

Pau Gasol

Sounds like someone may have translated that from Spanish to English and posted it, but you get the idea.

Gasol has had a long and successful history in playing for Spain in international competition, most recently helping them to a silver medal in the 2012 Olympics.

Injuries limited Gasol to playing just 49 regular season games for the Lakers, and his scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage, and minutes played were all significantly below his career averages.

Eurobasket 2013 is scheduled to take place in Slovenia from September 4th through the 22nd.

1. drex1 - May 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Thought it was Kurt writing the post rather than someone translating it from spanish.

2. sidneyz - May 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Pau is a Hall of Fame caliber player. He’s also one of the smartest athletes on the planet. Taking care of his body so he can enjoy the remainder of his professional career at a high level is a smart move.

3. mazblast - May 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Pau was smart to get this procedure done immediately after the Lakers’ season was over, and he’s smart to not rush his recovery. “Smart” is not ordinarily a word associated with him, but let’s give credit where credit is due.

Need it done, get it done right away, get on with rehab and have some time for the inevitable little setbacks along the way. Don’t pull a Shaq.

Way to go, Pau.

• manchestermiracle - May 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I’ve consistently heard a variety of basketball people call him smart and his play reflects that description.

• bougin89 - May 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I’ve never heard anyone call him anything other than smart. Not sure where you are going with that comment.

4. andrewproughcfe - May 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Pau deserves the chance to go back to Memphis next season and help his brother and Zach Randolph lead the team to a championship.

• erckle31 - May 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

That’d be pretty sick, actually. That lineup would be nuts.

• smoothaswilkes - May 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM

How do you figure that is going to happen? He still is under contract for next season at ~19 million to play for the Lakers. Granted, he will most likely get traded next season but I guarantee it won’t be back to the Grizzlies.

If he did get traded to Memphis, how crazy would that be? Marc Gasol and Randolph are both Grizzlies because of the “horrible trade” Memphis made with the Lakers to get Pau in the first place. Marc as a 2nd round pick and Randolph because they cleared enough cap space to get him with the Pau trade.

• andrewproughcfe - May 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I don’t know how they would handle the dollars of the trade, but he would be the perfect compliment to Zach and Marc’s incredible inside game. That would be a team that could slice through the Heat in a series.

• manchestermiracle - May 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The Lakers need players more than cap relief. Just curious as to who you think the Griz would give up for Pau.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards