May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Here are the two things we know for sure about the Detroit Pistons coaching search:
2) They have talked to a lot of people so far: Nate McMillan, Lindsay Hunter, Mike Budenholzer, Darrell Walker and J.B. Bickerstaff. And that’s the ones we know of.
After that, well, where they are in the process depends on whom you ask.
Sources say there is no leading candidate, though the Pistons’ ability to pry an interview out of Mike Budenholzer certainly represented some leeway in the San Antonio Spurs veteran assistant coach’s future plans.
So it’s wide open. Nate McMillan was interviewed first but he’s no longer the frontrunner… or is he? Here’s another report from the Detroit News.
Nate McMillan, who has visited with the Pistons front office twice, is believed to be the first choice of Pistons president Joe Dumars.
It sounds a little like Dumars wants to go one way but the ownership wants to look in other directions. If that is true, it should make any coach a bit leery of the job — if management isn’t on the same page the coach will get caught in the middle.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 8: Kobe Bryant returns 2
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 3
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 5
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 43
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 16
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22