May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Here are the two things we know for sure about the Detroit Pistons coaching search:
2) They have talked to a lot of people so far: Nate McMillan, Lindsay Hunter, Mike Budenholzer, Darrell Walker and J.B. Bickerstaff. And that’s the ones we know of.
After that, well, where they are in the process depends on whom you ask.
Sources say there is no leading candidate, though the Pistons’ ability to pry an interview out of Mike Budenholzer certainly represented some leeway in the San Antonio Spurs veteran assistant coach’s future plans.
So it’s wide open. Nate McMillan was interviewed first but he’s no longer the frontrunner… or is he? Here’s another report from the Detroit News.
Nate McMillan, who has visited with the Pistons front office twice, is believed to be the first choice of Pistons president Joe Dumars.
It sounds a little like Dumars wants to go one way but the ownership wants to look in other directions. If that is true, it should make any coach a bit leery of the job — if management isn’t on the same page the coach will get caught in the middle.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34