May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Here are the two things we know for sure about the Detroit Pistons coaching search:
2) They have talked to a lot of people so far: Nate McMillan, Lindsay Hunter, Mike Budenholzer, Darrell Walker and J.B. Bickerstaff. And that’s the ones we know of.
After that, well, where they are in the process depends on whom you ask.
Sources say there is no leading candidate, though the Pistons’ ability to pry an interview out of Mike Budenholzer certainly represented some leeway in the San Antonio Spurs veteran assistant coach’s future plans.
So it’s wide open. Nate McMillan was interviewed first but he’s no longer the frontrunner… or is he? Here’s another report from the Detroit News.
Nate McMillan, who has visited with the Pistons front office twice, is believed to be the first choice of Pistons president Joe Dumars.
It sounds a little like Dumars wants to go one way but the ownership wants to look in other directions. If that is true, it should make any coach a bit leery of the job — if management isn’t on the same page the coach will get caught in the middle.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18