May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Here are the two things we know for sure about the Detroit Pistons coaching search:
2) They have talked to a lot of people so far: Nate McMillan, Lindsay Hunter, Mike Budenholzer, Darrell Walker and J.B. Bickerstaff. And that’s the ones we know of.
After that, well, where they are in the process depends on whom you ask.
Sources say there is no leading candidate, though the Pistons’ ability to pry an interview out of Mike Budenholzer certainly represented some leeway in the San Antonio Spurs veteran assistant coach’s future plans.
So it’s wide open. Nate McMillan was interviewed first but he’s no longer the frontrunner… or is he? Here’s another report from the Detroit News.
Nate McMillan, who has visited with the Pistons front office twice, is believed to be the first choice of Pistons president Joe Dumars.
It sounds a little like Dumars wants to go one way but the ownership wants to look in other directions. If that is true, it should make any coach a bit leery of the job — if management isn’t on the same page the coach will get caught in the middle.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 7
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10