May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Here are the two things we know for sure about the Detroit Pistons coaching search:
2) They have talked to a lot of people so far: Nate McMillan, Lindsay Hunter, Mike Budenholzer, Darrell Walker and J.B. Bickerstaff. And that’s the ones we know of.
After that, well, where they are in the process depends on whom you ask.
Sources say there is no leading candidate, though the Pistons’ ability to pry an interview out of Mike Budenholzer certainly represented some leeway in the San Antonio Spurs veteran assistant coach’s future plans.
So it’s wide open. Nate McMillan was interviewed first but he’s no longer the frontrunner… or is he? Here’s another report from the Detroit News.
Nate McMillan, who has visited with the Pistons front office twice, is believed to be the first choice of Pistons president Joe Dumars.
It sounds a little like Dumars wants to go one way but the ownership wants to look in other directions. If that is true, it should make any coach a bit leery of the job — if management isn’t on the same page the coach will get caught in the middle.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 6
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29