Judge sets June trial for Kobe, his mom, to argue about stuff he left in his room

May 14, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Vanessa Bryant AP

UPDATE 2:52 pm: So we get to hear about this for another month. Lucky us.

Tuesday a judge set a June 17 trial date for deciding whether Kobe Bryant‘s mother can auction off some Kobe memorabilia in her possession. The judge also the two sides to sit down and try to come to an agreement before the trial and not waste the court’s time (well, too late for that, I guess). While it is Kobe and his mother that have the disagreement, the lawyers on that side work for the auction house, Goldin Auctions, which of course stand to make a nice profit off of this auction. If it goes forward.

11:02 am: This entire thing is just sad. But here we are.

The attorneys representing Kobe Bryant, and the other ones representing his mother, head to court on Tuesday to let a judge decide if an auction house can sell off some Bryant memorabilia in the possession of his mother. There are more than 100 items his mother would like to auction, including a Lower Merion game-worn high school jersey and a replica 2000 Lakers championship ring.

This is like the argument you had with your mother when you left stuff at her house, except that she just donated or threw out your stuff because it wasn’t worth crap. Kobe’s mom got a $450,000 advance from the auction company (which she used to put a down payment on a house).

Kobe’s argument is simple — it’s my stuff. She can’t sell my stuff. He and his wife said they had asked for the stuff back years ago. He said there was a May 2 phone conversation where he told his mom not to sell the stuff and she agreed. There is a lot more legal jargon and it took high-priced attorneys hours to put together, but that pretty much sums up his claim.

Kobe’s mother, Pamela, and father, Joe, filed papers in court saying Kobe lied to them, reports the Los Angeles Daily News.

“This conversation never occurred and I never made that statement,” Pamela Bryant said. She added Kobe “never demanded the return of any of the items, nor were they in any way improperly taken from him without his permission.”

“My son gave my wife these items over the years, stating, ‘Here mom, these are for you,’ ” Joe said. He said he advised Kobe to “set up a room in his California house to display the items.” But Joe said Kobe “declined to do so.”

And here we are.

The Bryant family relationship is so strained attorneys need to sort it out in court a couple days after Mother’s Day. That’s sad.

1. progress2011 - May 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Dude gonna make $30 MILLION next in salary alone….not including shirt sales, shoe endorsements, commercials, speaking engagements etc. etc. etc. ‘

The sheer fact that his Mom ( carried yo butt in my womb 9mths, fed ya, put a roof over your head, provided an environment for you to have a decent childhood)….has to auction off her stuff to upgrade her lifestyle is absolutely absurd.

From a legal standpoint (which it should NEVER get to…..dude you seriously gonna take yo Mom to court)….if he left the stuff at her home all this time, he essentially abandoned it. There’s typically a time frame for which you must re-claim your stuff, otherwise the person holding it for you can dispose of it as they see fit.

Before Colorado he didn’t have respect for women….it’s apparent since Colorado, he still has no respect for even his Mom.

Worst type of dude on the friggin PLANET!

• walkman22 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Kobe has given his mother a ton already! The reason she is selling his stuff is because she wants an additional house in Las Vegas that cost 450K and asked him for the money. Remember, he’s already bought her a house (2 actually)! So he told her no, but that he would give her a whopping 250K to put towards it! The fact she wasn’t satisfied with this shows how selfish and greedy she is. She needs to remember that it is his money, not hers.

2. skids003 - May 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Not surprising. Two peas in a pod.

3. lrical - May 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Doesn’t Vanessa Bryant’s mom have a big ol house. Kobe can’t buy his folks one. I know Vanessa didn’t do it with “her” own money. Just speculating.

• unxpexted1 - May 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Kobe already bought his moms a house outside of philly in a very wealthy neighborhood. Some years ago, but she wants a house bigger than his wife’s moms’ house. Which i’m sure Kobe had to chalk up during this whole divorce/get back together incident in his marriage. I have a feeling Kobe’s wife runs it.

• pdisken - May 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Your children don’t owe you a house.

4. hwatt - May 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Perfect headline

5. eventhorizon04 - May 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I’m inclined to sign with Kobe on this, simply because the arguments are basically:

Kobe: “I never gave them permission to sell my stuff. It’s still mine.”
    Kobe’s parents: “Kobe said he didn’t want them anymore.”

If Kobe had given his parents permission to keep and sell his stuff, Kobe probably wouldn’t be suing his parents to stop them from selling his stuff.

So I’m going to guess Kobe asked for his stuff, then his parents refused, then Kobe didn’t want to get lawyers involved to retrieve his items but had to once his parents decided to sell his stuff.

• theotherfamousamos - May 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I tend to agree but the problem here is that Kobe is a mega-zillionaire, and his parents probably aren’t poor. So there’s no way Kobe “had to” resort to fighting this in Court. He could’ve said, “Hey, Mom & Dad, I’m pissed and I’m not gonna invite you guys to Thanksgiving” and not sued his parents and let it go.

It’s a scale issue. For regular folks, it’s as though Mom threw out a big box of old, used Star Wars action figures which could maybe, possibly, conceivably fetch about $500-1,000 if you worked really hard to find the right buyer. Most of us would just get pissed, chalk it up to family conflict, and then let it go. I guess it’s easy for schlubs like me to say he should just let a million or so bucks go. But there are more important things than a million bucks for someone like Kobe, who’s net worth probably approaches a quarter of a billion dollars if you include his investments and endorsements.

• duckfootballrules - May 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

But at the end of the day -it’s stuff! Even if they were 100% in the wrong I’ll be damned if I would sue my parents over some crap. But then again, this is where we’re at in society…the human condition is completely devoid of reason.

Good luck Kobe, hope you “win.”

• pdisken - May 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It doesn’t help matters that his parents did not approve of his marriage to Vanessa.

6. jhuck92 - May 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Serious question, Kurt. What’s worse: Having to report on a custody battle of Kobe’s memorabilia? Or having to report on Derrick Rose “non-update “updates?

• Kurt Helin - May 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Family stuff is messier. I don’t want to delve into Kobe’s personal life, he and his parents long have had an uncomfortable relationship.

7. andrewproughcfe - May 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If my mom could sell some of my old crap for half-a-mil, I’d say more power to her! I’d be going through my garage and attic and looking for more crap she could put up for auction.

8. cdins - May 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

450k is only the down payment?

9. lettercable - May 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I sense that there may be no winners here regardless of what happens in any court room.

In the end each side should step back, reflect what this is all worth, and forgive.

10. yuwannano - May 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Keepin it classy Mama Bryant. It may be in Kobe’s best interest to just cut his loses and let her keep his “stuff”.

Ick. With mothers like these….

11. onbucky96 - May 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Well…looks like Kobe’s calender is clear this June.

12. klownboy - May 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

So sad. No wonder so many athletes go broke – money grubbing familes do it every time…

13. daviddmsvcp - May 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

This is so sad. It almost made me cry. I love Kobe Bryant. And, I love Kobe’s mom. I love them both so much that it makes me sad to see them in disagreement.

14. tampajoey - May 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Damn my mom must be fcuking lazy. Either that or my stuff ain’t worth SHlT,

15. mazblast - May 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I believe the legal term is “adverse possession”. It’s your stuff, but if you know I have it and never do anything to get it, after a long enough time, it’s mine.

If KoMe wanted this stuff, he should have said so and should have taken steps to have it shipped to him. He knew where it was.

• andrewproughcfe - May 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Adverse possession only applies to real property (land) and stuff attached to it (like houses). Not to common, disposable possessions.

• deadeyedesign23 - May 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I pretty sure he thought he could trust his mother with his possessions.

16. jjones314 - May 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

“For the love of money”

“Mo money, Mo problems”

Seems like the parents are motivated by greed. I’m pretty sure the Bryant’s are well off…..mainly because of all the money given to them by their son…do you really have to sell his old stuff? Are you that strapped for cash? You need that new house that bad?

Like Rick Ross said, “B*tch you wasn’t with me shooting in the gym”

17. saint1997 - May 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Mamba V Momba

18. manchestermiracle - May 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

The only thing sadder than a publicly-aired family dispute is a disingenuous writer passing along said dispute while simultaneously claiming it’s “sad” and acting as though re-reporting it is some sort of tiresome burden. Leave this manufactured drama to the likes of TMZ.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview