May 13, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
While you could draw the lines — a connection with new Toronto team CEO Tim Leiweke, a desire to have a role where he could be a team president — it always seemed an odd fit:
Phil Jackson in Toronto? Really?
One name that can be crossed off any lists, sources say, is Phil Jackson. The 11-time NBA champion head coach won six titles working with Leiweke in Los Angeles and the two are friends, but the likelihood of Jackson relocating to Toronto and taking on a full-time role as a club executive are considered remote at this point.
Jackson could maybe come back around on Toronto, but he’s talking to other teams (well, not the Nets anymore) and the process will not be fast. And the Raptors need to move a little faster.
In the next couple days the Raptors are expected to make a decision about the fate of GM Bryan Colangelo. He’s been dangling out there for a few weeks while the just-hired Leiweke and the rest of the Raptors management decided what to do with him.
The Raptors are an organization that needs some kind of direction and focus, if not from Jackson from someone. Anyone. Well, Colangelo has had eight years to get that so maybe he’s not the guy, but he may well get one more year.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18