May 13, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
While you could draw the lines — a connection with new Toronto team CEO Tim Leiweke, a desire to have a role where he could be a team president — it always seemed an odd fit:
Phil Jackson in Toronto? Really?
One name that can be crossed off any lists, sources say, is Phil Jackson. The 11-time NBA champion head coach won six titles working with Leiweke in Los Angeles and the two are friends, but the likelihood of Jackson relocating to Toronto and taking on a full-time role as a club executive are considered remote at this point.
Jackson could maybe come back around on Toronto, but he’s talking to other teams (well, not the Nets anymore) and the process will not be fast. And the Raptors need to move a little faster.
In the next couple days the Raptors are expected to make a decision about the fate of GM Bryan Colangelo. He’s been dangling out there for a few weeks while the just-hired Leiweke and the rest of the Raptors management decided what to do with him.
The Raptors are an organization that needs some kind of direction and focus, if not from Jackson from someone. Anyone. Well, Colangelo has had eight years to get that so maybe he’s not the guy, but he may well get one more year.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10