May 13, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Does it feel to anyone else like somebody’s agent/manager/people are trying to pump up O.J. Mayo’s free agency options?
With the playoffs and draft coming up there tends not to be a lot of focus on free agents not named Howard or CP3 (and they aren’t likely moving on), yet now we have our second recent report about O.J. Mayo.
The Cavs might kick the tires on Mayo, as well. He’s expected to opt out of his contract with Dallas. He shot a career-high 40.7 percent from the 3-point line this season. Mayo averaged 15.3 points on 12.5 shots.
My initial reaction is “it depends on how you use him.” If you can convince Mayo to be the instant-offense sixth man he could thrive in that role. Well, if he brought his energy and focus every night — that’s what drove Rick Carlisle crazy in Dallas.
Bottom line for Cleveland: Any guy that takes the ball out of Kyrie Irving’s hands to create for himself is a poor fit as a starter. The Cavs certainly need more talent around Irving, but just because they have $18 million in cap space doesn’t mean they should instantly spend it. As a fan, watching your team be patient sucks. But sometimes it’s the right play.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 0
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 18
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65