May 13, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
Does it feel to anyone else like somebody’s agent/manager/people are trying to pump up O.J. Mayo’s free agency options?
With the playoffs and draft coming up there tends not to be a lot of focus on free agents not named Howard or CP3 (and they aren’t likely moving on), yet now we have our second recent report about O.J. Mayo.
The Cavs might kick the tires on Mayo, as well. He’s expected to opt out of his contract with Dallas. He shot a career-high 40.7 percent from the 3-point line this season. Mayo averaged 15.3 points on 12.5 shots.
My initial reaction is “it depends on how you use him.” If you can convince Mayo to be the instant-offense sixth man he could thrive in that role. Well, if he brought his energy and focus every night — that’s what drove Rick Carlisle crazy in Dallas.
Bottom line for Cleveland: Any guy that takes the ball out of Kyrie Irving’s hands to create for himself is a poor fit as a starter. The Cavs certainly need more talent around Irving, but just because they have $18 million in cap space doesn’t mean they should instantly spend it. As a fan, watching your team be patient sucks. But sometimes it’s the right play.
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 0
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 6
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 9
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 43