May 13, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Chicagoans love to boo LeBron James…
• Detroit rookie big man Andre Drummond is going to work out with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer. I LOVE this. Drummond and Anthony Davis are going to be battling for who is best out of this draft class three years from now (sorry Damian Lillard, you’ll still be very good). The pre-draft questions about Drummond were focus and intensity, but he has shown he does have that. And this is a sign of maturity and wanting to develop.
• In what seems to be an annual report: The Celtics will consider trading Rajon Rondo “for the right deal.” Of course, that deal means Russell Westbrook or Derrick Rose or some other trade that would never happen.But we pass along the note anyway.
• The NBA players union is not going to meet until August and seems to be in no rush to find a new executive director.
• Pablo Prigioni will be a restricted free agent this summer (once the Knicks make the expected qualifying offer), and there will be interest around the league, but he says he wants to come back to New York. If he plays anywhere.
• What is the best of the available coaching jobs? Ben and I disagree here, I think expectations and reality are way out of line in Brooklyn, and that Detroit is a potentially very good gig with a solid front line in place.
• Along those lines, here’s a good look at some of the top assistants who could be head coaches by next season.
• Russell Westbrook talks about his injury and his recovery.
• After a few adult beverages, a random fan just decided to declare for the NBA draft… and got a great response from the league.
• For his first move, Flip Saunders is remaking the scouting department with the Timberwolves.
• Spike Lee couldn’t get the seats near the Pacers bench like he wanted, despite a $40,000 offer.
• How the Warriors rebuild worked better than the Kings rebuild (when the Kings consistently have better draft picks).
• GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, announced it will give Jason Collins its Courage Award at the GLSEN Respect Awards in New York on Monday, May 20.
• There is a Basketball Time Machine app.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 0
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 13
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 0
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 35
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 28
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22