May 13, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s not a surprise to anyone, but let’s make it official, shall we:
Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng are “most likely out” for the Bulls on Monday night in what is a virtual must-win game for Chicago, tweets K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. That’s the word from coach Tom Thibodeau.
If you have followed the Bulls these playoffs, you know when Thibodeau says “most likely out” what he really means “unless Elijah returns from the heavens in a fiery chariot to heal them, they are out.”
Deng is trying to recover from complications with a spinal tap that left him ill and having lost 15 pounds. We had a pretty good idea he would be out Monday when he said this to Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com on Sunday.
“I’m okay. Just trying to get back in the rhythm of things. It’s not as bad as it was before. Just trying to practice. I did some individual work yesterday and I started throwing up a little bit. I couldn’t finish the workout. I tried to practice with the team today and the same thing. My body, my system is not reacting well to anything I’m doing right now,” Deng said after the Bulls’ practice Sunday afternoon at the Berto Center.
Hinrich is recovering from a calf injury that has limited the movement of a guy Chicago needs for his defense.
Both Deng and Hinrich are understandably frustrated with the situation. But while you can play through pain, you can’t play through an injury. The Bulls are down 2-1 in this series and can’t fall behind 3-1 and expect to come back.
In case you missed it, there will be no Derrick Rose, either. Not this series.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7