May 13, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s not a surprise to anyone, but let’s make it official, shall we:
Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng are “most likely out” for the Bulls on Monday night in what is a virtual must-win game for Chicago, tweets K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. That’s the word from coach Tom Thibodeau.
If you have followed the Bulls these playoffs, you know when Thibodeau says “most likely out” what he really means “unless Elijah returns from the heavens in a fiery chariot to heal them, they are out.”
Deng is trying to recover from complications with a spinal tap that left him ill and having lost 15 pounds. We had a pretty good idea he would be out Monday when he said this to Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com on Sunday.
“I’m okay. Just trying to get back in the rhythm of things. It’s not as bad as it was before. Just trying to practice. I did some individual work yesterday and I started throwing up a little bit. I couldn’t finish the workout. I tried to practice with the team today and the same thing. My body, my system is not reacting well to anything I’m doing right now,” Deng said after the Bulls’ practice Sunday afternoon at the Berto Center.
Hinrich is recovering from a calf injury that has limited the movement of a guy Chicago needs for his defense.
Both Deng and Hinrich are understandably frustrated with the situation. But while you can play through pain, you can’t play through an injury. The Bulls are down 2-1 in this series and can’t fall behind 3-1 and expect to come back.
In case you missed it, there will be no Derrick Rose, either. Not this series.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 47
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 20
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6