May 12, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s been fun to speculate about whether Phil Jackson would take over as the head guy in the Toronto front office. Jackson has ties to the new man overseeing the Raptors organization (and the Maple Leafs), Tim Leiweke, who was a force in Los Angeles sports before. Leiweke said he wants to have a conversation with the guy with 11 rings, but Jackson has ties to the Seattle group trying to buy the Kings and he is waiting for that drama to play out.
So early this week expect the Raptors to just decide to keep Bryan Colangelo around another year as GM. That according to the Toronto Sun.
There are those who believe a decision will be made official by as early Monday.
Unofficially, Colangelo’s option year is expected to be picked up, a route many in basketball circles had anticipated in the days leading up to the Raptors’ season finale.
That would mean you could expect Dwane Casey back as the Raptors coach.
Colangelo made it abundantly clear in his media availability following the Raptors’ season that Dwane Casey would be back, assuming Colangelo would be back.
The franchise has seemed like a rudderless collection of talent — even when they get good players there is a question of fit. Like how DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay really fit together… unless you’re a fan of inefficient slashers.
I haven’t seen a vision, and the defensive foundation Casey had seemed to put in place his first year crumbled amid rumors of poor communication with players.
Colangelo has had his chance. But without a replacement lined up it looks like he will get one more year.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 2
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 19
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25