Stephen Curry ‘optimistic’ he’ll be ready to play in Game 4 despite ankle injury

May 11, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT

Warriors' Curry regains control of the ball in front of Spurs' Green during Game 3 of their NBA Western Conference semi-final playoff basketball game in Oakland

Stephen Curry suffered a sprained left ankle late in the fourth quarter of his team’s Game 3 loss to the Spurs. It wasn’t severe enough to immediately force him out of the game, but he was noticeably limping, both on the court and in the tunnels of the arena afterward.

Curry didn’t speak to reporters following the game, and opted to begin treatment on the ankle in preparation for Sunday’s Game 4, which has a 12:30 p.m. local start time.

The team made Curry available to a pool reporter on Saturday as he continued with his treatment. While he ultimately said he’d need to see how he feels Sunday morning and remains a game-time decision, Curry is optimistic that he’ll be able to play, at least in a limited capacity.

From Marcus Thompson of the Contra Costa Times:

If you could gage it, you think you’ll be able to play?

I think so. You never really know how it’s going to feel the next day. You just keep with the treatment. Same ol’ story. I have the same answers. I hope it feels good enough to go tomorrow. But until I wake up tomorrow and see, you just hope for the best right now.

Will you be limited or play the same way?

If I can give the team anything, I will play. I feel like if I can get to a point where I’m not hobbling and I can cut how I want to. It doesn’t gave to be 100 percent, as long as I can be confident that it won’t do any further damage. I have a feeling I’ll be at that point tomorrow, no problem.

While it’s admirable that Curry will try to go as long as he feels he can contribute something, a hobbled version of the sharpshooter may do the Warriors more harm than good — especially considering his recent poor shooting.

The Spurs adjusted to Curry’s hot start to the series by guarding him with Danny Green, whose length and athleticism has caused Curry to struggle. Curry was 5-of-17 from the field in Game 3, and was just 3-of-11 from the field during the second half of Game 2.

Trying to lose Green around multiple screens on a bad wheel wouldn’t seem to bode well for Curry increasing his shooting percentage in Game 4, depending on just how limiting the injury tuns out to be. Either way, it looks like he’s planning on giving it a shot on Sunday.

1. melkipershero - May 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM

If his ankles hold up his 4 year $44 million contract will be a bargain. His ankles are scary though.

2. saint1997 - May 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Curry has gone 1-13 from the field with Danny Green on him this series

3. dboydc - May 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

All I would say to this coach is RG3, he is still very young it is not necessary to risk so much now when you potentially have a lot of basketball left in you.

4. baymac408 - May 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I hate when this happens!! I hope this offseason curry strengthens his ankles.. It’s really scary and very disheartening when he tweaks his ankle! still best shooter in NBA.. STEPH YOUR GAME UP!! Go warriors

5. barnesaintnoble - May 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Warriors will win the series. Spurs are great, but too old and the NBA will love to elevate Curry’s star. Memphis will win too, no Westbrook for OKC does them in (and wouldn’t make for very good matchups going forward). Heat will take Chicago because Chicago is just in bad shape injury wise, but I think they take Miami to game seven and beat them up along the way. NYK/Pacers is where I’m lost. Pacers are a good young team, fun to watch but NYK is a huge market that has been cold for a while. I’d normally say $$ wins out, but Pacers might be able to win it whether the NBA likes it or not.

• manhandler1 - May 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Only if Jerrit Jack quits giving the ball to San Antonio. If someone compared his offensive points to the opposing points made off all his turnovers, he wouldn’t look good at all.

6. cj1403 - May 12, 2013 at 7:05 AM

@barnesaintnoble I really doubt Chicago wins another game, deep down I think there just happy not loosing by 40 every night. As much as I would love for the Knicks to not get farther than the second round, I would love it even more if Miami sent them packing in the ECfs. If Memphis does come out of the West, they could take a game 7 against the Heat.

7. baymac408 - May 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Jarret jack tries to do to much sometimes.. To many turnovers.. It’s so disappointing when he holds on to the ball and dribbles into traffic… C’mon man

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches