Preview: Thunder need Kevin Durant to continue to put up big numbers in Game 3 against the Grizzlies
May 11, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
As the series between the Thunder and the Grizzlies shifts to Memphis for Game 3, each team has signs it can point to over the first two games to instill confidence moving forward.
We broke it all down here previously, and discussed it on the podcast, as well. But essentially, while each team had less-than-desirable performances in one of the two games in this series, both were in those games with a chance to win them in the final few minutes.
The one constant has been Kevin Durant, and for the Thunder to be able to regain home court advantage with a win in one of the next two games, they’ll need him to be every bit as good as he was while opening the series in Oklahoma City.
In a two-point Game 1 victory, Durant finished with 35 points (on 13-of-26 shooting), 15 rebounds, six assists, and two blocked shots. In the Game 2 loss, Durant was even better, pouring in 36 points (on 11-of-21 shooting) to go along with 11 rebounds and nine assists.
Oklahoma City is struggling to get consistent offensive production beyond what Durant is providing. Kevin Martin got loose for 25 points off the bench in Game 1, but managed just six points in Game 2. Derek Fisher contributed an impactful 19 points in that one to somewhat make up for Martin’s disappearance, but the Thunder need more guys to step up offensively in order to continue to compete over the course of the series — especially now that the next two games are in Memphis.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 2
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 4
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31