May 11, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
1:02 p.m. ET: New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith missed shootaround on Saturday and is questionable for Game 3 against the Pacers, according to the team’s official public relations Twitter page.
The reason given for Smith’s absence was illness, and head coach Mike Woodson told reporters his Sixth Man of the Year was home with a 102 degree fever (via Al Innazzone of Newsday).
But it’s worth noting that Smith has been mired in a dreadful shooting slump, and has gone just 7-of-30 from the field over his last two games. Woodson has said he would consider benching Smith in favor of more productive options should he continue to struggle.
Smith hasn’t spoken to reporters since after the team’s Game 2 win, and the Knicks are famously protective of their players where the media is concerned. In addition to the shooting woes, Smith was seen partying with singer Rihanna this week, and while a majority of players in the league are out late consistently, Smith is under the microscope playing where he does, and his actions are being scrutinized even more closely considering his recent performance.
On a more positive note, the Knicks are expected to see Amar’e Stoudemire return to the lineup for the first time since undergoing knee surgery in early March. He’s expected to play 10-15 minutes off the bench, and if healthy, could be a big help to New York’s chances against the big front line of the Pacers.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 0
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 3
- Spurs get a little revenge, along with season’s signature win in takedown of Heat 21
- Suns’ rookie Alex Len takes to court with #prayforukraine on shoes 18
- Paul George wants LeBron James to be his mentor 41