Bulls say LeBron flopped after being shoved by Nazr Mohammed

May 11, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

APTOPIX Heat Bulls Basketball AP

The play ultimately had little effect on the game’s final outcome, but it was the culmination of a series of physical actions from both sides.

Early in the second quarter of the Heat’s Game 3 win over the Bulls, Nazr Mohammed fouled LeBron James hard near half court in an attempt to slow the Heat in transition. James made sure to throw Mohammed to the ground as the two were tangled up, and he was whistled for a technical foul for doing so.

Mohammed got up and gave James a solid two-handed shove, which saw James fall to the ground. That needless show of aggression got Mohammed ejected, but maybe had James not fallen down, a simple flagrant or technical could have been called instead.

Afterward, the Bulls weren’t exactly fond of the referee’s decision to eject Mohammed, and believed that James may have exaggerated the contact he received.

“From my angle, I just saw a guy basically flop, you know, and I’m going to leave it at that,” Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau said, via ESPN Chicago.

Nate Robinson was a little more subtle with his accusation.

“You see LeBron in a lot of commercials, a lot of good acting,” Robinson said, via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Mohammed, for his part, largely pretended that his actions didn’t deserve to get him tossed.

“It was a soft foul; it’s not like a fouled him hard,” Mohammed said, via K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. It was a stop-the-break foul. I thought it was a cheap shot throwing me down when all I was doing was trying to stop the break.”

Whether Mohammed has a short memory or he’s flat-out lying here is unimportant — the video clearly shows him swinging down hard on James before wrapping him up.

“I seen him hawking me down for a long time and I seen him come with one of those club fouls, which was unnecessary,” James said. “I basically just tried to protect myself, stand my ground. It definitely surprised me that he pushed me like that.”

The play will certainly be reviewed by the league office, and it’s possible that further discipline could be handed down in the form of a fine or a suspension. Neither is all that likely, however, because whether James flopped or not, the response from the officials at the time was swift and appropriate given the circumstances.

Latest Posts
  1. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

2. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

3. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

4. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

5. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Getty Images

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

6. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

7. Russian guard Dmitry Kulagin, with Kings interest, considering jumping to NBA

Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 3 Getty Images

Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent

8. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

9. Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.

10. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

11. Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers

Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.

12. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

13. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches