May 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
There were going to be changes in Philly in the wake of the lost Andrew Bynum season (not sure what else to call that campaign, at least that’s printable).
In the wake of coach Doug Collins leaving, now out goes GM Tony DiLeo and he will be replaced by a guy considered one of the brightest minds in the game — Rockets assistant GM Sam Hinkie, reports CSNPhilly.com (Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the story). This likely becomes official early next week.
While Daryl Morey is the front man for the Rockets (and the ultimate decision maker), Hinkie helped shape that organization as well with draft picks and more. And that is one of the up-and-coming young teams in the league — what the 76ers aspire to be. Hinkie brings an analytics background, something that should appeal to numbers-guy owner Josh Harris.
The first job on Hinkie’s list is to get replacement coach for Doug Collins, who stepped away after last season.
After that, he can move on to the “what to do about Bynum?” question.
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 10
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 61
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 31
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 43
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33