May 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
There were going to be changes in Philly in the wake of the lost Andrew Bynum season (not sure what else to call that campaign, at least that’s printable).
In the wake of coach Doug Collins leaving, now out goes GM Tony DiLeo and he will be replaced by a guy considered one of the brightest minds in the game — Rockets assistant GM Sam Hinkie, reports CSNPhilly.com (Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the story). This likely becomes official early next week.
While Daryl Morey is the front man for the Rockets (and the ultimate decision maker), Hinkie helped shape that organization as well with draft picks and more. And that is one of the up-and-coming young teams in the league — what the 76ers aspire to be. Hinkie brings an analytics background, something that should appeal to numbers-guy owner Josh Harris.
The first job on Hinkie’s list is to get replacement coach for Doug Collins, who stepped away after last season.
After that, he can move on to the “what to do about Bynum?” question.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 20
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70