May 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
There were going to be changes in Philly in the wake of the lost Andrew Bynum season (not sure what else to call that campaign, at least that’s printable).
In the wake of coach Doug Collins leaving, now out goes GM Tony DiLeo and he will be replaced by a guy considered one of the brightest minds in the game — Rockets assistant GM Sam Hinkie, reports CSNPhilly.com (Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the story). This likely becomes official early next week.
While Daryl Morey is the front man for the Rockets (and the ultimate decision maker), Hinkie helped shape that organization as well with draft picks and more. And that is one of the up-and-coming young teams in the league — what the 76ers aspire to be. Hinkie brings an analytics background, something that should appeal to numbers-guy owner Josh Harris.
The first job on Hinkie’s list is to get replacement coach for Doug Collins, who stepped away after last season.
After that, he can move on to the “what to do about Bynum?” question.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85