May 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
There were going to be changes in Philly in the wake of the lost Andrew Bynum season (not sure what else to call that campaign, at least that’s printable).
In the wake of coach Doug Collins leaving, now out goes GM Tony DiLeo and he will be replaced by a guy considered one of the brightest minds in the game — Rockets assistant GM Sam Hinkie, reports CSNPhilly.com (Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the story). This likely becomes official early next week.
While Daryl Morey is the front man for the Rockets (and the ultimate decision maker), Hinkie helped shape that organization as well with draft picks and more. And that is one of the up-and-coming young teams in the league — what the 76ers aspire to be. Hinkie brings an analytics background, something that should appeal to numbers-guy owner Josh Harris.
The first job on Hinkie’s list is to get replacement coach for Doug Collins, who stepped away after last season.
After that, he can move on to the “what to do about Bynum?” question.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8