May 10, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
Lionel Hollins is a busy man right now. His Memphis Grizzlies are in the second round of the NBA playoffs, coming home tied 1-1 with the chance to take control of their series against Oklahoma City if they can put together a couple wins.
But still, there is background speculation about his job as coach. For one, his contract is up after this season. Next, the decidedly old-school Hollins ripped the idea of advanced basketball statistics early this year, that despite a new Grizzlies owner who is a numbers guy, and said owner put in a new front office that is numbers friendly (including former ESPN writer John Hollinger). There is a question of fit and how all this meshes, so there is speculation Hollins could be allowed to walk this summer.
If he is, the Nets are interested, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Lionel Hollins will be highly coveted if Memphis doesn't re-sign him as coach after season. Nets 1 team that will b interested, source says—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) May 09, 2013
The Nets have already reached out to Phil Jackson, who said “no thanks.” Former Phil Jackson assistant Brian Shaw is expected to get a look there, and maybe even Larry Brown among others.
The Nets coaching hire is big for them — GM Billy King has put together a roster that is gong to be pretty hard to change much for a couple years, so any hope for improvement has to come from getting more out of what they have. They have to ad some creativity and versatility on the offensive end.
Maybe Hollins could do that, but I have a feeling after this playoff run he is staying in Memphis.
- Klay Thompson says he expects to play next season with Warriors, not be traded 0
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 24
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 55
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 58
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19