May 10, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
Lionel Hollins is a busy man right now. His Memphis Grizzlies are in the second round of the NBA playoffs, coming home tied 1-1 with the chance to take control of their series against Oklahoma City if they can put together a couple wins.
But still, there is background speculation about his job as coach. For one, his contract is up after this season. Next, the decidedly old-school Hollins ripped the idea of advanced basketball statistics early this year, that despite a new Grizzlies owner who is a numbers guy, and said owner put in a new front office that is numbers friendly (including former ESPN writer John Hollinger). There is a question of fit and how all this meshes, so there is speculation Hollins could be allowed to walk this summer.
If he is, the Nets are interested, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Lionel Hollins will be highly coveted if Memphis doesn't re-sign him as coach after season. Nets 1 team that will b interested, source says—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) May 09, 2013
The Nets have already reached out to Phil Jackson, who said “no thanks.” Former Phil Jackson assistant Brian Shaw is expected to get a look there, and maybe even Larry Brown among others.
The Nets coaching hire is big for them — GM Billy King has put together a roster that is gong to be pretty hard to change much for a couple years, so any hope for improvement has to come from getting more out of what they have. They have to ad some creativity and versatility on the offensive end.
Maybe Hollins could do that, but I have a feeling after this playoff run he is staying in Memphis.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47