Luol Deng says he lost 15 pounds, still feels weak

May 10, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT

Officially, Luol Deng is listed as day-to-day by Tom Thibodeau and the Chicago Bulls. He was back at the Bulls practice facility on Thursday.

But he said he has lost 15 pounds though this medical ordeal — which was much worse than the flu that was originally announced — and he didn’t look like a guy who could play, or contribute a whole lot if he did.

His entire interview is above, but here is the money quote via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“I tried to shoot a little bit and I struggled. I couldn’t do it. We’ll see,” he said after the Bulls’ practice Thursday afternoon at the Berto Center. “I want to play, but I don’t know what I can do. I haven’t done anything. It really sucks.

“It’s really my first day out of the house and out of the hospital. I haven’t really left my bed much or done much,” the NBA’s back-to-back minutes-per-game leader added. “I’m weak and I have headaches; when I’m moving around a lot, my headache increases. That’s really the main thing.”

Deng’s ordeal was not a lot of fun.

“It all started with I wasn’t feeling well. I guess I had the flu. But my symptoms were really bad when I went to the hospital. They wanted to make sure I didn’t have meningitis, which I’m thankful for. They wanted to make sure. I did the spinal tap and after that, I just didn’t respond well. I started having severe headaches, was struggling to walk. I started feeling really weak. I started throwing up, constant diarrhea. I couldn’t control my body really. Because of that, I lost a lot of weight. And still just trying to get back, just trying to get right. I still don’t feel right,” he explained.

The other key injury to the Bulls during these playoffs was to Kirk Hinrich, who had an MRI to look at his injured calf and Thibodeau didn’t sound optimistic he would be back for Game 3 Friday night against the Heat.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Hedo Turkoglu wants to play anther NBA season, Kings possiblity

Jul 31, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings don’t really have the roster spot for him.

2. Grizzlies’ D-League affiliate hires female assistant coach

Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT

NBA.com NBA.com

Iowa Energy add Nicki Gross to coaching staff

3. Report: Joe Johnson “pumped” that Deron Williams bought out by Nets

Jul 31, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

joe johnson nets sleeved alternates

Johnson makes $24.9 million, but this is the last year of his contract.

4. Report: Knicks to sign Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

20141220 Westchester Knicks at Maine Red Claws Getty Images

New York drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother last year

5. Report: 76ers second-rounder J.P. Tokoto won’t sign with Philadelphia

Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

No. 58 pick will reportedly head overseas or to D-League

6. Knicks waive Ricky Ledo

Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Ricky Ledo AP

Guard didn’t show much in short stint in New York

7. NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure

Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nzjmmwjlotdhnzrhn2iwytixngrhnwi2yzqwyjzk AP

“One thing to come out of this will be more camps, more clinics, more games, more youth competition, and from that you get into infrastructure, and building more courts.” —Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM and native Nigerian

8. Mark Cuban says trading for Rajon Rondo was tough call, “came down to a coin flip”

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

“And the coin flip was as much about, is there going to be anything else that we could do? Because we knew we had to do something.” —Mark Cuban on trading for Rajon Rondo.

9. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

10. Blazers waive Brendan Haywood after acquiring him from Cavs

Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT

Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley

Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.

11. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

12. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

13. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

14. Thunder sign domestic draft-and-stash pick Josh Huestis

Jul 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis spent last season in the D-League.

15. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (2740)
  2. B. Haywood (2284)
  3. I. Thomas (2154)
  4. L. James (1890)
  5. A. Randolph (1867)
  1. M. Miller (1852)
  2. G. Robinson III (1750)
  3. N. Young (1722)