Luol Deng says he lost 15 pounds, still feels weak

May 10, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT

Officially, Luol Deng is listed as day-to-day by Tom Thibodeau and the Chicago Bulls. He was back at the Bulls practice facility on Thursday.

But he said he has lost 15 pounds though this medical ordeal — which was much worse than the flu that was originally announced — and he didn’t look like a guy who could play, or contribute a whole lot if he did.

His entire interview is above, but here is the money quote via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“I tried to shoot a little bit and I struggled. I couldn’t do it. We’ll see,” he said after the Bulls’ practice Thursday afternoon at the Berto Center. “I want to play, but I don’t know what I can do. I haven’t done anything. It really sucks.

“It’s really my first day out of the house and out of the hospital. I haven’t really left my bed much or done much,” the NBA’s back-to-back minutes-per-game leader added. “I’m weak and I have headaches; when I’m moving around a lot, my headache increases. That’s really the main thing.”

Deng’s ordeal was not a lot of fun.

“It all started with I wasn’t feeling well. I guess I had the flu. But my symptoms were really bad when I went to the hospital. They wanted to make sure I didn’t have meningitis, which I’m thankful for. They wanted to make sure. I did the spinal tap and after that, I just didn’t respond well. I started having severe headaches, was struggling to walk. I started feeling really weak. I started throwing up, constant diarrhea. I couldn’t control my body really. Because of that, I lost a lot of weight. And still just trying to get back, just trying to get right. I still don’t feel right,” he explained.

The other key injury to the Bulls during these playoffs was to Kirk Hinrich, who had an MRI to look at his injured calf and Thibodeau didn’t sound optimistic he would be back for Game 3 Friday night against the Heat.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days

Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

No deal yet, but training camp is less than a week away, so both sides are motivated to expedite the process.

2. Tuesday And-1 Links: Was Mark Jackson fired over religion?

Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Miami Heat - Game Two Getty Images

Lance Stephenson with a dolphin? We got that.

3. Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies

Sep 23, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT

heat beasley Getty Images

Memphis is the latest team to try to salvage the former second overall pick in the 2008 draft.

4. 67RIEFNS No. 6: Return of injured players

Sep 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

NBA All-Star Practice NBA All-Star Practice

Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose among the more intriguing names on the list.

5. Mavericks unveil fan-designed new 2015-16 “skyline” alternate jerseys

Sep 23, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

dallas Mavericks skyline alternate jersey

It’s a play off what Seattle and Denver have done before.

6. Celtics owner, GM both say they want to keep Rajon Rondo in green

Sep 23, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Vs. Boston Celtics At TD Garden Getty Images

Danny Ainge has done a good job with keeping his options open.

7. Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment

Sep 23, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

Adam Silver also says league isn’t looking into owners’ pasts

8. Wizards sign Rasual Butler, Damion James

Sep 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

James reportedly received guaranteed contract

9. Early new drawings for proposed Warriors arena… that does look like a toilet

Sep 23, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Warriors-Mission-Bay-Arena-Concept-Design-NW-View-thumb-896x491-860535

Not a lot of people will see the building from above, and it’s early in the process, but…. that’s not pretty.

10. Kyle Lowry: Raptors wanted me just as Steve Nash’s backup

Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers

The many times Toronto and Kyle Lowry could have blown it with each other

11. Dirk Nowitzki developed quicker shot release. That’s just not fair.

Sep 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

He’s already the best midrange shooter in the game.

12. Dwyane Wade shows off blood-spattered Dexter shoes (photos)

Sep 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade

Heat guard getting style from fictional Miami serial killer

13. Mavericks sign Doron Lamb

Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Jimmer Fredette, Doron Lamb Jimmer Fredette, Doron Lamb

Lamb, after playing for Bucks and Magic, likely to fall out of NBA following training camp

14. Report: Nets signing Willie Reed

Sep 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles D-Fenders v Springfield Armor Los Angeles D-Fenders v Springfield Armor

Reed, previously a member of Kings and Grizzlies, in line to compete for roster spot

15. Andrew Wiggins not bad with first pitch before Twins game (VIDEO)

Sep 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

He’s better than Charles Barkley already at this.

16. NBA’s rookie transition program presents information in a compelling way in order to promote real discussion

Sep 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Initially uncomfortable information is presented in order to create a dialogue on real-life scenarios, which helps prepare rookies for their initial steps into the NBA life.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches