May 10, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT
Officially, Luol Deng is listed as day-to-day by Tom Thibodeau and the Chicago Bulls. He was back at the Bulls practice facility on Thursday.
But he said he has lost 15 pounds though this medical ordeal — which was much worse than the flu that was originally announced — and he didn’t look like a guy who could play, or contribute a whole lot if he did.
His entire interview is above, but here is the money quote via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“I tried to shoot a little bit and I struggled. I couldn’t do it. We’ll see,” he said after the Bulls’ practice Thursday afternoon at the Berto Center. “I want to play, but I don’t know what I can do. I haven’t done anything. It really sucks.
“It’s really my first day out of the house and out of the hospital. I haven’t really left my bed much or done much,” the NBA’s back-to-back minutes-per-game leader added. “I’m weak and I have headaches; when I’m moving around a lot, my headache increases. That’s really the main thing.”
Deng’s ordeal was not a lot of fun.
“It all started with I wasn’t feeling well. I guess I had the flu. But my symptoms were really bad when I went to the hospital. They wanted to make sure I didn’t have meningitis, which I’m thankful for. They wanted to make sure. I did the spinal tap and after that, I just didn’t respond well. I started having severe headaches, was struggling to walk. I started feeling really weak. I started throwing up, constant diarrhea. I couldn’t control my body really. Because of that, I lost a lot of weight. And still just trying to get back, just trying to get right. I still don’t feel right,” he explained.
The other key injury to the Bulls during these playoffs was to Kirk Hinrich, who had an MRI to look at his injured calf and Thibodeau didn’t sound optimistic he would be back for Game 3 Friday night against the Heat.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47