May 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
You want to know why guys flop? It works.
It worked here for J.R. Smith in Game 1 between the Pacers and Knicks. He got the call. On Friday he also got a $5,000 fine for the flop, the league announced.
In the fourth quarter of that game, Smith is trying to follow Lance Stephenson over the top of a David West pick and sells he was hit like an actor in a spaghetti western. It was called a flop on the air. Because it was.
It also got the call. The Pacers went on to win the game, but there are going to be guys willing to take the fine for key calls as the playoffs move on.
Already these playoffs the Pacers’ Jeff Pendergraph has been fined for flopping, as was Derek Fisher. The slumping Smith wins the bronze medal for being the third to join the group.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13