May 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
You want to know why guys flop? It works.
It worked here for J.R. Smith in Game 1 between the Pacers and Knicks. He got the call. On Friday he also got a $5,000 fine for the flop, the league announced.
In the fourth quarter of that game, Smith is trying to follow Lance Stephenson over the top of a David West pick and sells he was hit like an actor in a spaghetti western. It was called a flop on the air. Because it was.
It also got the call. The Pacers went on to win the game, but there are going to be guys willing to take the fine for key calls as the playoffs move on.
Already these playoffs the Pacers’ Jeff Pendergraph has been fined for flopping, as was Derek Fisher. The slumping Smith wins the bronze medal for being the third to join the group.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48