May 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
You want to know why guys flop? It works.
It worked here for J.R. Smith in Game 1 between the Pacers and Knicks. He got the call. On Friday he also got a $5,000 fine for the flop, the league announced.
In the fourth quarter of that game, Smith is trying to follow Lance Stephenson over the top of a David West pick and sells he was hit like an actor in a spaghetti western. It was called a flop on the air. Because it was.
It also got the call. The Pacers went on to win the game, but there are going to be guys willing to take the fine for key calls as the playoffs move on.
Already these playoffs the Pacers’ Jeff Pendergraph has been fined for flopping, as was Derek Fisher. The slumping Smith wins the bronze medal for being the third to join the group.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20