May 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
You want to know why guys flop? It works.
It worked here for J.R. Smith in Game 1 between the Pacers and Knicks. He got the call. On Friday he also got a $5,000 fine for the flop, the league announced.
In the fourth quarter of that game, Smith is trying to follow Lance Stephenson over the top of a David West pick and sells he was hit like an actor in a spaghetti western. It was called a flop on the air. Because it was.
It also got the call. The Pacers went on to win the game, but there are going to be guys willing to take the fine for key calls as the playoffs move on.
Already these playoffs the Pacers’ Jeff Pendergraph has been fined for flopping, as was Derek Fisher. The slumping Smith wins the bronze medal for being the third to join the group.
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 35
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43