May 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
You want to know why guys flop? It works.
It worked here for J.R. Smith in Game 1 between the Pacers and Knicks. He got the call. On Friday he also got a $5,000 fine for the flop, the league announced.
In the fourth quarter of that game, Smith is trying to follow Lance Stephenson over the top of a David West pick and sells he was hit like an actor in a spaghetti western. It was called a flop on the air. Because it was.
It also got the call. The Pacers went on to win the game, but there are going to be guys willing to take the fine for key calls as the playoffs move on.
Already these playoffs the Pacers’ Jeff Pendergraph has been fined for flopping, as was Derek Fisher. The slumping Smith wins the bronze medal for being the third to join the group.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 0
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 24
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31