Dr. Jack Ramsay to step away from broadcasting for medical treatment

May 10, 2013, 12:18 AM EST

Dr. Jack Ramsey Getty Images

We wish him only the best and a speedy recovery.

Jack Ramsay, the Hall of Fame coach (he led the 1977 Portland Trail Blazers to a title with Bill Walton) and long-time broadcaster is stepping away from his role as a radio color commentator for ESPN during the playoffs to received medical treatment, reports Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

Ramsay, 88, declined to discuss the nature of his medical condition. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1999 and received treatment, several years ago, for melanomas “all over my body….

“I’m going back to Naples and will start the treatment on Monday there,” Ramsay said by phone Thursday. “I have a specific time period where I must have this and cannot do it if I’m traveling around. I’ll miss doing the broadcasts.”

Dr. Jack — he has a doctorate in education from Penn — is just great to listen to, a basketball fan’s announcer who is about giving insights and breaking down the game, not screaming out catch phrases. He is a teacher of the game.

He had said before this likely would be his last season broadcasting anyway. But this is not how we wanted him to leave.

We hope he gets well soon and enjoys some time with family getting to relax in Florida. But we’ll miss his voice.

1. toddm1016 - May 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Met Dr. Jack at a speaking engagement about 10 years ago. Super nice guy. Wish him all the best.

2. dexterismyhero - May 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Hope everything goes well Doc. I remember him coaching the Pacers years ago. Great guy.

3. hojo20 - May 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

He’s 88 years old, this can’t be a surprise.

4. DonRSD - May 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I remember when he was the Heat play-by-play announcer with the current Eric Reid.
    Loved him yelling THUNDER for Dan Majerle.

Get well soon Dr – you are the Madden of the NBA :)

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches