May 10, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
David Khan may have been relieved of his GM position with the Timberwolves, but the team is still cleaning up after his mistakes.
Today, the team officially announced that they have waived veteran guard Brandon Roy, likely ending his career in the process:
“We wish Brandon and his family all the best in the future,” said Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations Flip Saunders.
Roy tried to restart his career in Minnesota after retiring from the NBA with chronic knee pain after the 2010-11 campaign. Kahn took a gamble on Roy, signing him to a two year $10.4 million contract, hoping that he could come back even if only as a part time contributor to help the upstart ‘Wolves make a playoff push this season.
Unfortunately Roy was still hampered by the knee issues that plagued him, appearing in only 5 games and needing surgery after experiencing more pain throughout the season. In those 5 games Roy averaged 5.8 points, 4.6 assists, and 2.8 rebounds while shooting only 31.4% from the floor.
Roy appeared in three all-star games in his career, was a former rookie of the year with the Portland Trailblazers and one of the best young players in the league during his great, but brief prime. And while it was always a long shot that he’d be able to come back and be an effective player after all his health issues, it’s a shame that this is the way his career will end.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11