Bogut says his ankles got so bad he considered retiring

May 10, 2013, 2:26 AM EST

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors - Game Six Getty Images

Andrew Bogut has been what Golden State needed him to be these playoffs.

After David Lee went down Bogut stepped up and has played well inside, being physical and protecting the rim, setting solid screens, providing some inside to balance out the crazy outside from Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. He’s averaged 29 minutes a game with 8.9 points on 62 percent shooting plus 11 rebounds a game.

But earlier this season Bogut wasn’t sure he’d be here.

His ankles were so bad, and had been that way so long, that he was starting to think about if it was time to walk away, he told Scott Howard Cooper of NBA.com.

“I didn’t get to that point,” he said before the Warriors practiced in advance of Game 3 of the second-round series against the San Antonio Spurs on Friday night at Oracle Arena, “But it was definitely [something] I started to think about. I never got to a point where I thought, ‘This is it. I’m done.’ But I thought, ‘If this goes on for a year or two, there’s definitely a chance that I think about that.’

“I was really bad. The physical part of it is one thing, but the mental part of it’s the other. It was a tough time in my career. You always just start questioning yourself, and whenever you do that as an athlete, I think it’s probably not a great thing. When is this going to subside? When am I going to feel better? Am I going to be back to the same level I was playing at before the injury? How long is it going to take? Why is it taking so long? [I am] medically cleared to play, but am I being soft? Am I not going hard enough? Am I going too hard? Too many questions in your mind. I was frustrated.

We fans often have unrealistic “warrior” mentality expectations of players. We expect every player to be Jordan with the flu or Kobe with a broken finger. It’s not that Bogut didn’t want to be on the court, it’s not like he wasn’t working to get back (maybe too hard at time), but people heal differently, and different injuries heal at a different paces.

We hear team doctors say, “he’ll be back in three months” or whatever the timeframe is and we expect guys to be back sooner and be their old selves. It doesn’t always work out like that. The human body is a complex machine, and the mind that runs it can get frustrated trying to get healthy.

Watching Bogut move now he is clearly not 100 percent, he’s not yet back to the old Milwaukee version of himself. But he’s the closest we’ve seen. And that’s been key — he is not the star but he is a key role player for the Warriors right now. A Warriors team that has the Spurs number.

They just had to be patient.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Add the Clippers to the list of teams pursuing Corey Brewer (with Rockets, Cavs)

Dec 18, 2014, 12:22 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

It would be very difficult for the Clippers to find a deal Minnesota would like.

2. Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11

Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

IMG_2292

Plenty of photos and a recap of this week’s launch event from Jordan Brand’s Terminal 23 space in NYC.

3. C.J. Miles gets up, throws down on Clippers (VIDEO)

Dec 18, 2014, 10:12 AM EST

He turned the table on the Clippers and dunked on them.

4. Giannis Antetokounmpo sprains ankle, leaves Bucks game not to return

Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

He walked off under his own power but did not return.

5. Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade

Dec 17, 2014, 11:33 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Rockets, Kings and Knicks also reportedly inquiring about Celtics point guard

6. Adam Silver says Charlotte hosting All-Star Game is inevitable

Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

Adam Silver AP

In related news, Hornets got a ton of public funding to upgrade arena

7. Greg Monroe’s agent says he does not want a trade from Pistons

Dec 17, 2014, 7:39 PM EST

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Getty Images

The offers are not going to be big, will Stan Van Gundy eventually give in and take one?

8. Now what for Milwaukee Bucks? For rookie of the year race?

Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST

Jabari Parker AP

There are no good answers for the Bucks, or for other rookies to reward.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches