Bogut says his ankles got so bad he considered retiring

May 10, 2013, 2:26 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors - Game Six Getty Images

Andrew Bogut has been what Golden State needed him to be these playoffs.

After David Lee went down Bogut stepped up and has played well inside, being physical and protecting the rim, setting solid screens, providing some inside to balance out the crazy outside from Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. He’s averaged 29 minutes a game with 8.9 points on 62 percent shooting plus 11 rebounds a game.

But earlier this season Bogut wasn’t sure he’d be here.

His ankles were so bad, and had been that way so long, that he was starting to think about if it was time to walk away, he told Scott Howard Cooper of NBA.com.

“I didn’t get to that point,” he said before the Warriors practiced in advance of Game 3 of the second-round series against the San Antonio Spurs on Friday night at Oracle Arena, “But it was definitely [something] I started to think about. I never got to a point where I thought, ‘This is it. I’m done.’ But I thought, ‘If this goes on for a year or two, there’s definitely a chance that I think about that.’

“I was really bad. The physical part of it is one thing, but the mental part of it’s the other. It was a tough time in my career. You always just start questioning yourself, and whenever you do that as an athlete, I think it’s probably not a great thing. When is this going to subside? When am I going to feel better? Am I going to be back to the same level I was playing at before the injury? How long is it going to take? Why is it taking so long? [I am] medically cleared to play, but am I being soft? Am I not going hard enough? Am I going too hard? Too many questions in your mind. I was frustrated.

We fans often have unrealistic “warrior” mentality expectations of players. We expect every player to be Jordan with the flu or Kobe with a broken finger. It’s not that Bogut didn’t want to be on the court, it’s not like he wasn’t working to get back (maybe too hard at time), but people heal differently, and different injuries heal at a different paces.

We hear team doctors say, “he’ll be back in three months” or whatever the timeframe is and we expect guys to be back sooner and be their old selves. It doesn’t always work out like that. The human body is a complex machine, and the mind that runs it can get frustrated trying to get healthy.

Watching Bogut move now he is clearly not 100 percent, he’s not yet back to the old Milwaukee version of himself. But he’s the closest we’ve seen. And that’s been key — he is not the star but he is a key role player for the Warriors right now. A Warriors team that has the Spurs number.

They just had to be patient.

1. carolinabluesince95 - May 10, 2013 at 3:09 AM

When’s he’s healthy he’s a monster defensively.

2. lowtalker - May 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

mr. Helin:are you seriously trying to compare the flu or a hurt pinky with the ankle problems of a 7 footer? Anyone can play with the flu or a hurt pinky. But bad ankles? Your comparisons are a little weak. I suppose you think Mr. Rose of the Chicago Bulls is a Twinkie because he hasn’t been playing the entire season!

3. fm31970 - May 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

” he is not the star but he is a key role player for the Warriors right now.”

This is what Bogut should have been tabbed as from the day he was drafted, along with Marvin Williams. It was a weak draft class with no “franchise” players from what I recall, but had some very solid players. More A.C. Green and Charles Oakley types than Jordans, Bryants, and Ervings (either one.).

I’m happy so see Bogut back on the court and playing well again, but he will never be what he was before the wrist injury in 2010(?), right before the playoffs started. It was clear while he was still in Milwaukee that he had peaked and his best years were behind him after the two injuries (wrist and foot?), but he’s still a significant contributor, and with the rise of Thompson and Curry, he probably couldn’t have landed in a better situation. Good for Bogut. He was always a class act, never complained about anything, and always worked hard.

• pikindaguy - May 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM

“It was a weak draft class with no “franchise” players from what I recall, but had some very solid players. ”

Chris Paul + Deron Wiliams were picked up shortly after Bogut.

Funny enough David Lee was in the first round too.

4. bougin89 - May 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

That draft was actually very deep but it was considered thin at the very top. Deron Williams and Chris Paul went 3 & 4. Bynum, Granger and David Lee were also selected in the first round. Second round had Brandon Bass, Ersan, Monta Ellis, Blatche, Gortat, and Louis Williams.

And the Bucks landed Bogut, who was by far worse than the #1 picks in the two drafts before the 2005 draft(Lebron and Howard). But he was better than Bargnani who was #1 in 2006, at least when healthy.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches