May 9, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
It’s become the talk of twitter and one of the more memorable images of these playoffs — Joakim Noah is walking off the floor after being ejected from Game 2 Tuesday night and there is a Miami woman with real anger in her face leaning over the railing screaming in his face and flipping him the bird.
For people who want to poke fun at Miami, she is a hanging curveball to hit out of the park — blond, tanned, overdone housewife screaming needless vitriol at an ejected player with her team up 30 points. My favorite part is the security guard looking like he’d rather be anywhere else, or maybe the guy there with the woman yelling just as loudly. (We’d show you the photo, but it was taken by a USA Today photographer and we don’t have the rights, just follow the link above or this one to see it.)
Of course, some people have spent the day looking up who this woman is… and that is a story in and of itself.
She is Filomena Tobias, the widow of hedge fund manager, financial wizard and CNBC commenter Seth Tobias. The daughter of Tobias confirmed to the Sun Sentinel that it was her mom in the photo.
“She’s embarrassed, but she is being a good sport,” the daughter told the Sun Sentinel on Thursday. “She was having fun just like any other fan. All she has to say is that people need to get a life.”
She must not be familiar with the Internet.
But people who are have found out a lot more about Filomena, a lot of it in juicy details from a 2008 New York Magazine piece not long after Seth’s death.
Before Seth Tobias wound up dead in his pool; before the accusations surfaced that his wife was a thrice-divorced pill-popper and cocaine user who drugged Seth and killed him for his money; before the claims that Seth had led a secret life in which he drank too much, snorted a boatload of coke, and liked to pick up male hustlers and strippers, including one named Tiger; before Seth’s brothers filed suit in Palm Beach to block Phyllis from getting her hands on Seth’s estimated $25 million estate; and certainly before I found myself face-to-face with the main source of all the dirt—a 300-pound gay con man and Internet psychic with a long criminal history named Billy Ash who claims to have been the couple’s personal assistant and may well have fabricated all or part of his claims regarding Seth and Phyllis because he’s a proven liar and self-serving attention seeker … Before all of that, Seth Tobias was known to the world, to the extent he was known at all, as an upright cable-TV talking head and multimillionaire hedge-fund manager.
If you like the salacious stuff, click on that link and read the New York Magazine post.
The rest of us are going to move on to looking at Game 3… and the other soap opera of Derrick Rose.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 20
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26