May 9, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
The procedure, called the FAST technique, was successfully completed Thursday morning, the Lakers announced via official release.
Next week, Gasol will receive stem cell injections in order to help stimulate regeneration of his tissue. He’s expected to be ready to return to basketball activities in approximately 12 weeks.
Three months is a long time off, obviously, but it will still give Gasol two months to get ready for the start of the next NBA season. Whether or not that will be as a member of the Lakers is very much up in the air, and likely won’t be sorted out until after free agency opens (and the fate of Dwight Howard has been decided) sometime later this summer.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 0
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 43