May 9, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
The procedure, called the FAST technique, was successfully completed Thursday morning, the Lakers announced via official release.
Next week, Gasol will receive stem cell injections in order to help stimulate regeneration of his tissue. He’s expected to be ready to return to basketball activities in approximately 12 weeks.
Three months is a long time off, obviously, but it will still give Gasol two months to get ready for the start of the next NBA season. Whether or not that will be as a member of the Lakers is very much up in the air, and likely won’t be sorted out until after free agency opens (and the fate of Dwight Howard has been decided) sometime later this summer.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20