May 9, 2013, 9:49 PM EST
The procedure, called the FAST technique, was successfully completed Thursday morning, the Lakers announced via official release.
Next week, Gasol will receive stem cell injections in order to help stimulate regeneration of his tissue. He’s expected to be ready to return to basketball activities in approximately 12 weeks.
Three months is a long time off, obviously, but it will still give Gasol two months to get ready for the start of the next NBA season. Whether or not that will be as a member of the Lakers is very much up in the air, and likely won’t be sorted out until after free agency opens (and the fate of Dwight Howard has been decided) sometime later this summer.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 5
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 8
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 18
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13