May 9, 2013, 9:49 PM EST
The procedure, called the FAST technique, was successfully completed Thursday morning, the Lakers announced via official release.
Next week, Gasol will receive stem cell injections in order to help stimulate regeneration of his tissue. He’s expected to be ready to return to basketball activities in approximately 12 weeks.
Three months is a long time off, obviously, but it will still give Gasol two months to get ready for the start of the next NBA season. Whether or not that will be as a member of the Lakers is very much up in the air, and likely won’t be sorted out until after free agency opens (and the fate of Dwight Howard has been decided) sometime later this summer.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 4
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 50
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11