May 9, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
The procedure, called the FAST technique, was successfully completed Thursday morning, the Lakers announced via official release.
Next week, Gasol will receive stem cell injections in order to help stimulate regeneration of his tissue. He’s expected to be ready to return to basketball activities in approximately 12 weeks.
Three months is a long time off, obviously, but it will still give Gasol two months to get ready for the start of the next NBA season. Whether or not that will be as a member of the Lakers is very much up in the air, and likely won’t be sorted out until after free agency opens (and the fate of Dwight Howard has been decided) sometime later this summer.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 8
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 2
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 7
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 16