May 8, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
Ricky Rubio was David Kahn’s guy. Rubio was Kahn’s best draft pick, a guy who helped on the court and helped sell tickets, too. Of course, Kahn liked Rubio so much he told Minnesota’s best player — Kevin Love — he couldn’t have the team’s one five-year extension because it was being saved for Rubio. That soured a relationship already built on shaky ground.
That relationship — as well as a host of draft and other errors over the years — led to Kahn being shown the door and Flip Saunders getting his chair. Much to the joy of every Timberwolves fan I know.
But not Rubio, who lost his champion in the organization reports Ric Bucher of CSNBayArea.com, via Sulia.
Sources say the Rubio family is disappointed in the decision, largely because Kahn is the one who stuck his neck out and drafted Rubio knowing he couldn’t come over right away and did a lot of the legwork to expedite the start of Rubio’s NBA career. Maybe it blows over — Rubio wouldn’t be the first player who disagreed with a decision yet eventually put it behind him — but it bears watching.
Rubio’s not going anywhere — he will get a contract extension to his rookie deal from the Timberwolves that will be eight digits a season and he will sign it. Saunders is a smart guy, he’s going to build a good relationship with Rubio as one of the anchors of the franchise going forward.
Just remember next year when the Timberwolves stay healthy and make the playoffs, Kahn deserves a lot of credit for putting that roster together.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36