May 8, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Heat are 2-2 against the Bulls and 39-1 against everyone else since Feb. 3.
It’s easy to fall into a narrative that the Chicago has Miami’s number. But looking closer, that’s not quite the case.
The Heat have been so dominant this season, an opponent winning two of four games actually qualifies as a huge success. And even then, the sentiment ignores that Miami has outscored the Bulls by 20 points in those four games.
The Heat trail this series 1-0, a crucial element most understate when projecting a series winner mid-round, but the Heat are still probably favored to beat the Bulls. Again, that speaks to how dominant Miami is – but also depleted the Bulls are.
In many ways, the Heat merely have to wait out Chicago.
I’d bet neither Deng nor Hinrich return this series, unless they return too soon to be effective. Butler can’t sustain this load while taking the tiring task of guarding LeBron James. Robinson, as he’s done his whole career, will have a cold streak and keep shooting through it.
Plus, there are the 3-pointers. The Heat shot just 7-of-24 from beyond the arc in Game 1, despite getting many open looks. The NBA’s second-best 3-point shooting team during the regular season (behind the Warriors) won’t keep missing those looks.
Eventually, the Heat should prove their elite level. But a playoff series can be a small sample. Lose tonight, and Miami might run out of time.
The Heat are better than the Bulls. Will they show it soon enough?
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31