May 8, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
A probe will be inserted into each knee, and will direct ultrasonic energy to eliminate scar tissue without damaging healthy tissue. The timetable for Gasol’s recovery will be announced one the procedure is complete.
There are many question marks in terms of how the Lakers’ roster will be constructed next season, and it’s unclear whether or not Gasol will be back with the team. L.A. may look to trade him for players who are a better fit for Mike D’Antoni’s system, or might even consider amnestying him, as crazy as that initially sounds.
A lot will depend on Dwight Howard, an unrestricted free agent who may or may not return to the Lakers.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 0
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 7
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 16
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30