May 8, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
A probe will be inserted into each knee, and will direct ultrasonic energy to eliminate scar tissue without damaging healthy tissue. The timetable for Gasol’s recovery will be announced one the procedure is complete.
There are many question marks in terms of how the Lakers’ roster will be constructed next season, and it’s unclear whether or not Gasol will be back with the team. L.A. may look to trade him for players who are a better fit for Mike D’Antoni’s system, or might even consider amnestying him, as crazy as that initially sounds.
A lot will depend on Dwight Howard, an unrestricted free agent who may or may not return to the Lakers.
Gasol missed a total of 33 games due to injury, and averaged 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 33.8 minutes per game this season.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61