May 7, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
This would be a very Suns thing to do: Look past the guys who have worked hard in this role to earn the job and give it to the name guy you like who has no experience.
The Phoenix Suns are in the process of hiring a new general manager for a team that needs a vision for their rebuild since firing Lance Blanks after the season. They have interviewed two guys according to the Arizona Republic: Bucks assistant GM Jeff Weltman and Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough.
So what’s holding up the choice? They are waiting for Grant Hill to decide if he wants to play or to take the job, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Rumblings persist Suns haven't hired GM yet because they remain hopeful Clips' Grant Hill, out of playoffs now, returns to PHX to take job—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) May 07, 2013
Take a sourced rumor like this with a grain of salt, but it’s also certainly not impossible.
Hill is a smart player, no doubt. One beloved by many in Phoenix. He could be really great team executive some day, he has the mind for it and he knows the game.
But if former agent and now Team President Lon Babby and owner Robert Sarver are willing to hand over control of the team to a guy who has no front office experience… that would just be very Suns. Being a GM has a lot of nuances that need to be learned through experience — like any tough job. You don’t walk in off the street and just do it.
Why not hire Weltman or McDonough and have Hill work under them for a few years to learn the job?
Well, because they are the Suns. That’s why.
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 0
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 34
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 4
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 27