May 7, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
This would be a very Suns thing to do: Look past the guys who have worked hard in this role to earn the job and give it to the name guy you like who has no experience.
The Phoenix Suns are in the process of hiring a new general manager for a team that needs a vision for their rebuild since firing Lance Blanks after the season. They have interviewed two guys according to the Arizona Republic: Bucks assistant GM Jeff Weltman and Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough.
So what’s holding up the choice? They are waiting for Grant Hill to decide if he wants to play or to take the job, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Take a sourced rumor like this with a grain of salt, but it’s also certainly not impossible.
Hill is a smart player, no doubt. One beloved by many in Phoenix. He could be really great team executive some day, he has the mind for it and he knows the game.
But if former agent and now Team President Lon Babby and owner Robert Sarver are willing to hand over control of the team to a guy who has no front office experience… that would just be very Suns. Being a GM has a lot of nuances that need to be learned through experience — like any tough job. You don’t walk in off the street and just do it.
Why not hire Weltman or McDonough and have Hill work under them for a few years to learn the job?
Well, because they are the Suns. That’s why.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9