May 7, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
This would be a very Suns thing to do: Look past the guys who have worked hard in this role to earn the job and give it to the name guy you like who has no experience.
The Phoenix Suns are in the process of hiring a new general manager for a team that needs a vision for their rebuild since firing Lance Blanks after the season. They have interviewed two guys according to the Arizona Republic: Bucks assistant GM Jeff Weltman and Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough.
So what’s holding up the choice? They are waiting for Grant Hill to decide if he wants to play or to take the job, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Rumblings persist Suns haven't hired GM yet because they remain hopeful Clips' Grant Hill, out of playoffs now, returns to PHX to take job—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) May 07, 2013
Take a sourced rumor like this with a grain of salt, but it’s also certainly not impossible.
Hill is a smart player, no doubt. One beloved by many in Phoenix. He could be really great team executive some day, he has the mind for it and he knows the game.
But if former agent and now Team President Lon Babby and owner Robert Sarver are willing to hand over control of the team to a guy who has no front office experience… that would just be very Suns. Being a GM has a lot of nuances that need to be learned through experience — like any tough job. You don’t walk in off the street and just do it.
Why not hire Weltman or McDonough and have Hill work under them for a few years to learn the job?
Well, because they are the Suns. That’s why.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2