Report: Phil Jackson tells Nets he does not want to be their coach

May 7, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT

Former Los Angeles Lakers head coach Jackson speaks during a ceremony to retire jersey #34 in honor of former Los Angeles Lakers player O'Neal during their NBA basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks in Los Angeles Reuters

Every fan base whose team has a coaching vacancy is dreaming of Phil Jackson taking over on the bench.

It’s not happening — Jackson has said he wants a front office gig. He’s done with coaching.

And he told that again to the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports on twitter.

“But he was going to coach the Lakers” you say. That was a special situation. First, it’s a team with a couple key guys that knew his system and it’s a potential contender. But that’s not enough, the Lakers was a place where his presence could tilt the front office balance of power toward his fiancée Jeanie Buss and away from Jim Buss with regard to basketball decisions. That’s why he’s not ever getting the job. (Not that Lakers fans will let that dream die.)

But any other organization, he wants the Jerry West/Pat Riley role. The Nets, with Mikhail Prokhorov’s people in place and Billy King running the show, are not looking to change up the front office, they just wanted a coach.

And Phil Jackson doesn’t do that anymore.

1. kvanhorn87 - May 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

The Sixers have that exact role open. Just saying.

2. liamj55 - May 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Co-sign Kvanhorn87

3. melkipershero - May 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

How many times do you think it takes to figure he isnt coaching again?

4. hwatt - May 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

could it be the one era of Phil’s career where he’s jelly of Riley? oh well, maybe MJ will turn silent partner and…nevermind

5. lakerluver - May 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

What has Billy King done to be held in such high regard?

• melkipershero - May 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Im not sure how he got the job to begin with. Much less get an extension.

• deadeyedesign23 - May 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Did he actually get the extension? I saw stuff about them talking but I never saw anything about him signing

• melkipershero - May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

The Nets are going to be stuck in that we wont ever be good enough to win it all but theres nothing we can do about it stage for 5 years, atleast.

• asimonetti88 - May 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

On merit alone, King isn’t in the same league as Philip. But BK just got a fat extension, so he’s not going anywhere.

• erckle31 - May 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

He had the balls (or stupidity?) to take that atrocious Joe Johnson contract. Rashard Lewis 2.0, except Joe can still play, sort of.

• melkipershero - May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Stupidity. No doubt stupid move. Almost as stupid as trading for Gerald Wallace for a top 3 lottery protected pick and giving him a 4 year $40 million dollar extension. Add in Kris Kardashian’s deal and you have a horrible offseason. I felt Brook Lopez was over paid too but that may work out.

• erckle31 - May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yeah…all that is also ridiculous. I feel like they were in panic mode to just put together something that resembled a team in hopes of selling tickets upon arrival in Brooklyn. Which will ultimately backfire like no other.

• thestudiokida - May 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

He traded the #6 pick (Damien Lillard) for Gerald Wallace, a guy who was about to become a free agent because “There’s only 3 guys we like in this draft.” Then he gave Wallace a huge contract even though he’s a guy who always relied on athleticism and he just turned 30.

That’s something you should hold in high regard… oh wait, that’s a fireable offense.

6. misterdreamer119 - May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Phil jackson is never coaching again.

7. lew24 - May 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I hope he never coaches again but if he does I wish he would go back to the Lakers but I’m scared he will sign with the Clippers. I just don’t think the Clippers are that smart and they are too cheap to sign him!

8. yousuxxors - May 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

MJ needs to calk this phill up and have him run his franchise . I think he owes him that.

9. raiderinvader - May 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

sign Brian Shaw up before 76ers beat them to the punch

10. spideysdog - May 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

as some one who admires the hell out of Phil, this new “venture” scares the hell out of me. not saying it would happen, but I have visions of MJ in his current ownership role. in business, it’s called the peter principal. it’s the act of promoting to someone’s level of incompetence, and I would hate to see that be the last image of Phil in NBA world.

Phil’s greatest asset has always been his ability to manage and motivate all personalities and egos. MJ, Scottie, Rodman, Ho Grant, Shaq, Kobe, hell Bill friggin Wennington all found their greatest successes under Phil.

an executive job is about evaluation and dollars much more than xs and os. I hope I’m wrong, bit it makes me nervous.

• mazblast - May 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I’m with you, spideysdog. Philip used to be about winning championships and indulging The Ego of Phil Jackson; now I think it’s all about The Ego of Phil Jackson, period. I can see him being an executive like MJ is as an owner–“All credit goes to me, all blame is on them.”

That and I don’t want to hear/read his so-called Zen BS anymore.

• davidly - May 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Maybe. But the thing is, the opportune time for him to have been given that promotion has come and gone, increasing the likelihood that he can put the time and effort into doing a good job in the front office, in my opinion. He should have at least gotten the opportunity from Chicago or LA long ago. Then, had he indeed failed, this tedious conversation wouldn’t be taking place.

• davidly - May 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM

That should read “decreasing the likelihood” or “increasing the unlikelihood”

11. dudermcrbohan - May 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Of course he doesn’t want to coach the Nets. The Heat would be the only team Phil Jackson would be willing to coach. He only coaches teams with stacked rosters and the best player in the game. I thought everybody knew this?

• dohoangquan35 - May 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM

oh yeah, we all know that he at first came to a team with stacked roster only to be an assistant coach. Does it sounds like a job that allow you to control the best player in the league?

• dudermcrbohan - May 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM

i can’t decipher your terrible grammar skills (I’m using the word “skill” very loosely). Could you maybe rephrase that for me?

• davidly - May 8, 2013 at 4:39 AM

What do you call the team he took over in ’05? Name the stacked roster, if you please.

• dudermcrbohan - May 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM

“and the best player in the game”

looks like you missed that part

• davidly - May 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM

No, I didn’t. You didn’t say “or the best player in the game” you said “and the best player in the game.

So I’ll ask you again to name that stacked roster.

12. paulhargis53 - May 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM

LL, get off of this website! You lost our bet, be a man for once in your life and honor your bet.

Get lost under ALL of your screen names.

• jimeejohnson - May 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Gottum!

13. cantonbound13 - May 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Clippers president?

14. comeonnowguys - May 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Who the hell would want to coach that hot mess? They just got beat by six guys and a mascot.

15. hollymeus - May 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM

phil is the specialist.. coach only the best guys. heat or maybe thunders

16. nickmiller63 - May 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Sacramento, here he comes.

17. lakerluver - May 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Bet? What bet??

• jimeejohnson - May 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM

That’s a good one!

18. iowahbr - May 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Perhaps he really doesn’t want to coach again but still wants the NBA limelight. The problem is that as a GM you have to deal with crazy rich owners instead of crazy rich players. I think he needs to think through this becuse the Zen stuff probably has less impact on 60 to 70 year old guys with 2 or 3 billion dollars to their name rather than 23 year old b-ball wizards with 10 million to their name.

• davidly - May 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Good point. And the fact that he hasn’t been given such a job–one that just about every decent former player/coach & his brother is offered at some point–just may be evidence to support your point.

19. yousuxxors - May 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

its a lot harder dealing with actually rich dudss than spoiled brats but that’s why he is looking for the perfect place to land.

20. lakerluver - May 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

paulhargis53, I liked you better as kobeluver. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll continue referring to you as that.

21. paulhargis53 - May 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Lakerloser: Let me refresh your memory. Everyone that is a regular on this site knows you made the bet that the lakers would represent the western conference in the finals……so here you go:

Here is ONE of my attempts to get you to bet:

paulhargis53 – Nov 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    I NEVER said a word about $. Come on Mr. Laker, make the bet with me.
    I say the lakers don’t make the WCF. I’m right you leave PBT,I’m wrong, I leave. It’s that simple. Quit dodging the question with your pathetic attempt at humor. You de realize what a fraud you appear to be by not taking this bet, don’t you? The biggest lakerbacker with the biggest mouth is afraid to bet on the team he boasted about all off-season? What a fraud! BTW, this is the only name I post under,unlike you lakerluver/bozosforall.

If you don’t take my bet, you may as well quit posting anyway, you’ll be exposed for what you really are.

And here, you finally responded:

lakerluver – Nov 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    We have a bet…but I have a sneaking suspicion you still won’t go away. Nor will they block you. I think they have pity for you. How else can we explain you still being here? You should’ve been booted a long time ago!! Even though they won’t block you, please be a man and walk away in May when my LAKERS are facing whomever in the Conf. Finals. What I find sad about you and the other LAKERS haters is you guys spend more time bashing the LAKERS than you do supporting your own fave team!! Never will you find me commenting “all day” on a non-LAKERS story. Enjoy your last few months on this site, sir.

Its right there in black and white for you and everyone to see. So, why not GTFO of this site?
    You’re a dunce that adds nothing of merit to the comment section.EVER.

I figured you’d pull something like this, I just want everyone to know you for the s***weasel you are.
    Youre a dumb, loudmouth know nothing that won’t stand behind his word. You are on sad, pathetic individual, you are a loathsome piece of garbage. I’m sure posting on her is the only thing you have going for you in your miserable existence.

Just leave, be a man for once and go. No one here will miss you, much like your everyday life.

• lakerluver - May 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Obviously, someone stole my identity and made that be with you. However, it was not I, the original, one and only, LAKERLUVER.

22. jimeejohnson - May 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

How bout those Mets?

23. paulhargis53 - May 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

He won’t leave. He will do eveything he accused me of. Either he will just keep posting as lakerluver and deny this bet. The whole thread is on the Kobe says shut up and let us work. Or, he will post under his MANY aliases such as kb2408 or bozosforall. He’s an idiot loser.

I do feel bad that for some reason that none of my postings under kobeluver(lost a bet with malt). Hoping my signing off as kobeluver is good enough.

Lakerluver is a loathsome piece of crap, I hope some other people let him know what a jackwagon he is for welshing on his bet.

24. lakerluver - May 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM

“Sticks and stones”, sir……I still don’t know what bet you’re referring to. Perhaps you have mistaken me for someone else. I don’t recall posting any of that, therefore, I am here to stay, sir. Maybe you should address your anger issues, sir.

25. lakerluver - May 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Why is kobeluver so angry?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches