May 7, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
The Knicks are not going to change who they are Tuesday night.
After the Pacers beat the Knicks in Game 1 Sunday, when the Pacers size and physicality up front proved a problem for the Knicks, there was some talk of them going big (starting Kenyon Martin at the four and bumping Carmelo Anthony to the three).
But the Knicks got the No. 2 seed in the East playing small ball with Anthony at the four this year and they are going to stick with it. Good. Changing identities at this point is a bad idea.
But if the Knicks are going to even this series out a few things have to happen — a couple of them outlined by Bernard King (or his friend) on twitter, before the oversensitive Knicks made him shut down his account (way to treat your Hall of Famer).
1) Share the ball. The Knicks had 15 assists on 35 made baskets in Game 1. In the playoffs, they have assisted on 45 percent of their baskets (they averaged 52.7 percent in the regular season). The Pacers are too good defensively; if you don’t share the rock all your shots will be contested. What this means to me is more Jason Kidd and less J.R. Smith. And sharing the ball will likely lead to more points in the paint because you have to get Roy Hibbert’s feet moving and not let him anchor the paint.
2) More Raymond Felton/Tyson Chandler pick-and-roll. It doesn’t just have to be a 1/5 pick-and-roll, run some 4/5 with Anthony. But the Knicks had success with side P&R in the first quarter of Game 1, then went away from it and had more isolation sets. How’d that work out for you? Exactly. Also, this works to get Hibbert moving and out of the paint.
3) Shore up the defense. The Pacers are not a great offensive team, but they are better than the Rondo-less Celtics — Paul George can create, David West is a pick-and-pop force with some post moves, and Roy Hibbert has his groove back. They will score if you don’t challenge and contest them, and what made it difficult in Game 1 is the Pacers showed balance and scored a variety of ways. This isn’t something as simple as changing pick-and-roll coverage, the Knicks have to be generally sharper. They can be. The Knicks are a better defensive team than they showed in Game 1, but they have to tighten things up.
For the Pacers, it comes back to defense then getting some easy buckets in transition. The physicality of the Pacers in Game 1 threw the Knicks off their stride — keep on doing it. Felton said the Pacers were dirty and going after ‘Melo’s sore shoulder, you should tell him “welcome to the playoffs.” Play a little edgy, take a few calls. That’s fine, just don’t let the Knicks get comfortable in their offense. Do that, turn some of those Knicks misses in to easy transition buckets the other way, and you can take a stranglehold on this series.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT
Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon
Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Huestis spent last season in the D-League.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT
Could Gregg Popovich take his place in 2020?
Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Arenas suggests LeBron isn’t selfish enough.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Spurs coach happily assigns credit
Jul 30, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Will Karl-Anthony Towns, Nikola Pekovic or Gorgui Dieng start beside him?
Jul 30, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Will he want it?
Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Timberwolves apparently weren’t just going to trade Love for whatever they could get
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Suspending Patriots quarterback for a quarter of the season was bare minimum for Mavericks owner
Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Jerry Colangelo said attendance was mandatory to be considered for 2016 Olympic team
Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT
NBA commissioner confident Africa will get a preseason game
Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
Hawks wing says his leg and ankle feel better
Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
Philadelphia drafted Holmes in second round
Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT
Barnes is a perfect fit in for the “grit and grind” style of the Grizzlies.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Portland not making a call means they knew Aldridge was gone and it was time to rebuild.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40