May 7, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
The Knicks are not going to change who they are Tuesday night.
After the Pacers beat the Knicks in Game 1 Sunday, when the Pacers size and physicality up front proved a problem for the Knicks, there was some talk of them going big (starting Kenyon Martin at the four and bumping Carmelo Anthony to the three).
But the Knicks got the No. 2 seed in the East playing small ball with Anthony at the four this year and they are going to stick with it. Good. Changing identities at this point is a bad idea.
But if the Knicks are going to even this series out a few things have to happen — a couple of them outlined by Bernard King (or his friend) on twitter, before the oversensitive Knicks made him shut down his account (way to treat your Hall of Famer).
1) Share the ball. The Knicks had 15 assists on 35 made baskets in Game 1. In the playoffs, they have assisted on 45 percent of their baskets (they averaged 52.7 percent in the regular season). The Pacers are too good defensively; if you don’t share the rock all your shots will be contested. What this means to me is more Jason Kidd and less J.R. Smith. And sharing the ball will likely lead to more points in the paint because you have to get Roy Hibbert’s feet moving and not let him anchor the paint.
2) More Raymond Felton/Tyson Chandler pick-and-roll. It doesn’t just have to be a 1/5 pick-and-roll, run some 4/5 with Anthony. But the Knicks had success with side P&R in the first quarter of Game 1, then went away from it and had more isolation sets. How’d that work out for you? Exactly. Also, this works to get Hibbert moving and out of the paint.
3) Shore up the defense. The Pacers are not a great offensive team, but they are better than the Rondo-less Celtics — Paul George can create, David West is a pick-and-pop force with some post moves, and Roy Hibbert has his groove back. They will score if you don’t challenge and contest them, and what made it difficult in Game 1 is the Pacers showed balance and scored a variety of ways. This isn’t something as simple as changing pick-and-roll coverage, the Knicks have to be generally sharper. They can be. The Knicks are a better defensive team than they showed in Game 1, but they have to tighten things up.
For the Pacers, it comes back to defense then getting some easy buckets in transition. The physicality of the Pacers in Game 1 threw the Knicks off their stride — keep on doing it. Felton said the Pacers were dirty and going after ‘Melo’s sore shoulder, you should tell him “welcome to the playoffs.” Play a little edgy, take a few calls. That’s fine, just don’t let the Knicks get comfortable in their offense. Do that, turn some of those Knicks misses in to easy transition buckets the other way, and you can take a stranglehold on this series.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
It wasn’t pretty getting there, but the union has a leader again.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It’s been a good summer to be Kyrie Irving. Really good.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Clippers big man reportedly suffered injury during playoffs
Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
That wasn’t so painful, was it?
Jul 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Pistons center denies Warriors forward at the rim with relatively late, but incredibly awesome, leap
Jul 28, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
Tucker also re-signed with Suns for $16.5 million this offseason
Jul 28, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
National Basketball Players Associate scheduled to vote on Billy Hunter’s replacement today
Jul 28, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
San Antonio cites guard’s leg injury
Jul 28, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski said Derrick Rose looked healthy at Tea USA training camp.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Donald Sterling’s right to appeal restricted, a pivotal and unexpected ruling
Jul 28, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Williams didn’t get quite the payday he was expecting as an unrestricted free agent.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The USA has superior athletes and should use that to their advantage.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
Derrick Rose seems to be moving and playing like the Derrick Rose of old.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Thaddeus Young is not Kevin Love but he’d keep the Timberwolves from going into full rebuild mode.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Wade may be looking forward to going up against LeBron, but I don’t think he’s going to like how the game ends.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Ron Artest made a brief appearance on a rec league court in Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
When the game’s best player makes a uniform change, manufacturers spring into immediate action.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
LeBron said when switching to 6 four years ago that no one should wear 23 out of respect to MJ.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Insert your own “he only jumped over Lowry” jokes, we’re not going to do that.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Rose is expected to make the roster, but will need to shake the rust off quickly to show he’s more deserving than the other elite guards in camp.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65