May 7, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Jason Collins made big news as the first active NBA player to come out of the closet as a gay man.
But if you think he’s the first gay NBA player — or the first gay player that most NBA players have had on their team at some level — you are naive.
Charles Barkley owned up to that on the Dan Patrick Show Tuesday and said it’s no big deal. He sounds like the majority of NBA players I have heard from on this issue, they just want to know if he can play.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 8
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 37
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 13
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 14