May 7, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Jason Collins made big news as the first active NBA player to come out of the closet as a gay man.
But if you think he’s the first gay NBA player — or the first gay player that most NBA players have had on their team at some level — you are naive.
Charles Barkley owned up to that on the Dan Patrick Show Tuesday and said it’s no big deal. He sounds like the majority of NBA players I have heard from on this issue, they just want to know if he can play.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29