May 6, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
What will Kevin Garnett do this summer, retire or come back for another year with the Celtics?
A lot of that is tied to what the Celtics do with Paul Pierce — they can buy him out for next season for $5 million before June 30. Come July 1 he’s back at $15.3 million next season, and KG at his discounted $12 million would be back, too. Most likely.
But there is more than that going into his decision, such as surgery on his ankles reports Jackie MacMullan at ESPNBoston.com.
Team sources said KG might undergo offseason surgery to shave down the bone spurs in his ankles, an operation that is not viewed as a major procedure. Two of his teammates privately speculated he is considering retirement.
“I have no clue,” Doc admitted. “I was positive last year [he was coming back]. I’m not as sure this year.”
Garnett has a couple years left on his contract, but if the Celtics decide to rebuild he may just decide it is time to walk away from the game. Pierce has said if he is bought out he will play somewhere else next season.
I have a feeling by the time we get to the draft we’ll know what Boston is doing, one way or another. And what KG is doing this summer as well, besides getting his ankles operated on.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7