May 6, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
What will Kevin Garnett do this summer, retire or come back for another year with the Celtics?
A lot of that is tied to what the Celtics do with Paul Pierce — they can buy him out for next season for $5 million before June 30. Come July 1 he’s back at $15.3 million next season, and KG at his discounted $12 million would be back, too. Most likely.
But there is more than that going into his decision, such as surgery on his ankles reports Jackie MacMullan at ESPNBoston.com.
Team sources said KG might undergo offseason surgery to shave down the bone spurs in his ankles, an operation that is not viewed as a major procedure. Two of his teammates privately speculated he is considering retirement.
“I have no clue,” Doc admitted. “I was positive last year [he was coming back]. I’m not as sure this year.”
Garnett has a couple years left on his contract, but if the Celtics decide to rebuild he may just decide it is time to walk away from the game. Pierce has said if he is bought out he will play somewhere else next season.
I have a feeling by the time we get to the draft we’ll know what Boston is doing, one way or another. And what KG is doing this summer as well, besides getting his ankles operated on.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 27
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10