May 6, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
What will Kevin Garnett do this summer, retire or come back for another year with the Celtics?
A lot of that is tied to what the Celtics do with Paul Pierce — they can buy him out for next season for $5 million before June 30. Come July 1 he’s back at $15.3 million next season, and KG at his discounted $12 million would be back, too. Most likely.
But there is more than that going into his decision, such as surgery on his ankles reports Jackie MacMullan at ESPNBoston.com.
Team sources said KG might undergo offseason surgery to shave down the bone spurs in his ankles, an operation that is not viewed as a major procedure. Two of his teammates privately speculated he is considering retirement.
“I have no clue,” Doc admitted. “I was positive last year [he was coming back]. I’m not as sure this year.”
Garnett has a couple years left on his contract, but if the Celtics decide to rebuild he may just decide it is time to walk away from the game. Pierce has said if he is bought out he will play somewhere else next season.
I have a feeling by the time we get to the draft we’ll know what Boston is doing, one way or another. And what KG is doing this summer as well, besides getting his ankles operated on.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65