May 6, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
What will Kevin Garnett do this summer, retire or come back for another year with the Celtics?
A lot of that is tied to what the Celtics do with Paul Pierce — they can buy him out for next season for $5 million before June 30. Come July 1 he’s back at $15.3 million next season, and KG at his discounted $12 million would be back, too. Most likely.
But there is more than that going into his decision, such as surgery on his ankles reports Jackie MacMullan at ESPNBoston.com.
Team sources said KG might undergo offseason surgery to shave down the bone spurs in his ankles, an operation that is not viewed as a major procedure. Two of his teammates privately speculated he is considering retirement.
“I have no clue,” Doc admitted. “I was positive last year [he was coming back]. I’m not as sure this year.”
Garnett has a couple years left on his contract, but if the Celtics decide to rebuild he may just decide it is time to walk away from the game. Pierce has said if he is bought out he will play somewhere else next season.
I have a feeling by the time we get to the draft we’ll know what Boston is doing, one way or another. And what KG is doing this summer as well, besides getting his ankles operated on.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 0
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 33
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 17
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11