May 6, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
GM Danny Ferry has made it clear he plans to overhaul pretty much everything about the Hawks, from the roster to the organizational culture.
And that likely means the coaching staff, too.
So while nothing is official, with their season over Larry Drew and his staff in Atlanta are doing some quiet job hunting, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew and his staff have begun exploring other job opportunities in anticipation of the possibility they won’t be retained, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry is expected to make a final decision by the middle of this week, sources said. One source close to the coaching staff believes there is a “slim chance” the coaches will be brought back because Ferry has often talked about changing the franchise’s culture.
Drew wasn’t terrible as the Hawks coach, he took the team to the playoffs three straight seasons. But a team with a potentially dangerous front line of Al Horford and Josh Smith never really scared anyone, Jeff Teague never really developed and the Hawks identity was pretty “meh.”
Ferry wants to change that, and you know he’s going to go a more Spurs-style direction with a new coach.
Drew hopefully lands on his feet somewhere.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 37
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17