May 6, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
GM Danny Ferry has made it clear he plans to overhaul pretty much everything about the Hawks, from the roster to the organizational culture.
And that likely means the coaching staff, too.
So while nothing is official, with their season over Larry Drew and his staff in Atlanta are doing some quiet job hunting, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew and his staff have begun exploring other job opportunities in anticipation of the possibility they won’t be retained, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry is expected to make a final decision by the middle of this week, sources said. One source close to the coaching staff believes there is a “slim chance” the coaches will be brought back because Ferry has often talked about changing the franchise’s culture.
Drew wasn’t terrible as the Hawks coach, he took the team to the playoffs three straight seasons. But a team with a potentially dangerous front line of Al Horford and Josh Smith never really scared anyone, Jeff Teague never really developed and the Hawks identity was pretty “meh.”
Ferry wants to change that, and you know he’s going to go a more Spurs-style direction with a new coach.
Drew hopefully lands on his feet somewhere.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 38
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5