May 6, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
GM Danny Ferry has made it clear he plans to overhaul pretty much everything about the Hawks, from the roster to the organizational culture.
And that likely means the coaching staff, too.
So while nothing is official, with their season over Larry Drew and his staff in Atlanta are doing some quiet job hunting, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew and his staff have begun exploring other job opportunities in anticipation of the possibility they won’t be retained, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry is expected to make a final decision by the middle of this week, sources said. One source close to the coaching staff believes there is a “slim chance” the coaches will be brought back because Ferry has often talked about changing the franchise’s culture.
Drew wasn’t terrible as the Hawks coach, he took the team to the playoffs three straight seasons. But a team with a potentially dangerous front line of Al Horford and Josh Smith never really scared anyone, Jeff Teague never really developed and the Hawks identity was pretty “meh.”
Ferry wants to change that, and you know he’s going to go a more Spurs-style direction with a new coach.
Drew hopefully lands on his feet somewhere.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 2
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18