May 6, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
GM Danny Ferry has made it clear he plans to overhaul pretty much everything about the Hawks, from the roster to the organizational culture.
And that likely means the coaching staff, too.
So while nothing is official, with their season over Larry Drew and his staff in Atlanta are doing some quiet job hunting, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew and his staff have begun exploring other job opportunities in anticipation of the possibility they won’t be retained, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry is expected to make a final decision by the middle of this week, sources said. One source close to the coaching staff believes there is a “slim chance” the coaches will be brought back because Ferry has often talked about changing the franchise’s culture.
Drew wasn’t terrible as the Hawks coach, he took the team to the playoffs three straight seasons. But a team with a potentially dangerous front line of Al Horford and Josh Smith never really scared anyone, Jeff Teague never really developed and the Hawks identity was pretty “meh.”
Ferry wants to change that, and you know he’s going to go a more Spurs-style direction with a new coach.
Drew hopefully lands on his feet somewhere.
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 2
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 36
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)