May 6, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
GM Danny Ferry has made it clear he plans to overhaul pretty much everything about the Hawks, from the roster to the organizational culture.
And that likely means the coaching staff, too.
So while nothing is official, with their season over Larry Drew and his staff in Atlanta are doing some quiet job hunting, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew and his staff have begun exploring other job opportunities in anticipation of the possibility they won’t be retained, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry is expected to make a final decision by the middle of this week, sources said. One source close to the coaching staff believes there is a “slim chance” the coaches will be brought back because Ferry has often talked about changing the franchise’s culture.
Drew wasn’t terrible as the Hawks coach, he took the team to the playoffs three straight seasons. But a team with a potentially dangerous front line of Al Horford and Josh Smith never really scared anyone, Jeff Teague never really developed and the Hawks identity was pretty “meh.”
Ferry wants to change that, and you know he’s going to go a more Spurs-style direction with a new coach.
Drew hopefully lands on his feet somewhere.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13