May 6, 2013, 9:46 AM EDT
The first reports were that the Bucks had set their sights on Stan Van Gundy to fill their coaching vacancy. Van Gundy and Bucks GM John Hammond are friends, but we all knew that had about as much chance of happening as Dave Grohl becoming an American Idol judge.
So now the Bucks have moved on to the more realistic options — Nate McMillan and Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson. Both will interview this week, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
McMillan is the widely respected former coach of the Sonics and Trail Blazers. Sampson, a former college coach at the University of Oklahoma and Indiana, turned a lot of NBA heads with the job he did this season filling in for Kevin McHale this season when McHale’s daughter passed away.
McMillan and Sampson are also under consideration for other openings — McMillan has met with both the GM and owner of the Detroit Pistons, although they have since hired Phil Jackson to consult on their search and opened it up to other candidates. So he’s not such a front runner there.
Sampson has been talked about and will be contacted by Detroit, Charlotte and Philadelphia. He has one advantage over other top assistants such as Brian Shaw of the Pacers and Mike Malone of the Warriors — Sampson can interview right now, his team is out of the playoffs.
There’s a good chance both of these guys will have head coaching jobs by the time we are talking about Summer League games.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13