May 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT
P.J. Carlesimo was up front with Dan Patrick — if the Nets had beaten the Bulls in Game 7 it would not have changed his fate, just the timing. The Nets were going to let P.J. Carlesimo go at the end of this season either way. They want to go a new direction.
The Nets, under Avery Johnson then Carlesimo, were predictable. They lacked much variety in their offense and given time in the film room to pick them apart Thibodeau did. Since they are largely locked into this roster — it’s going to be difficult to make a good trade unless someone wants the Gerald Wallace or Joe Johnson contracts — switching coaching styles is key. They need to get more out of what they have.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43