May 6, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Mario Batali loves orange clogs.
• The Cavaliers need to improve their defense next season — 26th in the NBA in points allowed per possession — and that has to include some roster changes. So they are already looking to target free agent Tony Allen of the Grizzlies. They are not alone. After these playoffs Allen is going to get a nice payday.
• Andray Blatche will be a free agent this summer after his best season as a pro. He hinted where he signs may be tied to playing time. I say the answer is who pays him the most.
• The Clippers are not going to rush any decision about Vinny Del Negro as coach. But I think we all know how this movie ends. And before you tell me how he turned the Clippers around, look at their record before Chris Paul arrived.
• The Grizzlies turned to Instragram to poke a little fun at Blake Griffin after the Clippers were eliminated from the playoffs.
• Apparently the Suns search for a GM is down to two: Bucks assistant GM Jeff Weltman and Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough.
• This is already on my reading list and it’s not even written yet — Jonathan Abrams of Grantland (and the New York Times before that) has gotten a book deal to write “Boys Among Men: How a Generation of High Schoolers Chasing Their NBA Dreams Changed the Game and Themselves.” It’s the story of the guys who jumped from high school straight to the NBA, starting with Moses Malone. (Great trivia question, who was the last guy to do it? Amir Johnson.)
• Vegas, baby. I am pumped as always for Summer League in Las Vegas, starting July 12. I will be at the Cox/Thomas & Mack center ready for the rookies.
• The Bucks John Henson will be in Vegas for Summer League, too.
• Nets GM Billy King says the team may sign swingman Bojan Bogdanovic out of the Europe for next season. That should solve everything.
• Speaking of Euro signings, don’t be shocked if the Rockets ink Turkish forward Furkan Aldemir for next season.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away
Jul 29, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Brooklyn owner praises Adam Silver for filling in
Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates
Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT
He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster
Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Bounce passes are less effective in baseball.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’
Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
Hint, hint, hint
Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri
Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game
Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick
Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
He’ll be back this fall.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s been sober four years, which is most important.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:29 PM EDT
With more number retirements in Boston on the way in a few years.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Did Michael Jordan hijack the draft process in Charlotte again?
Jul 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Walker is expected to sign the bill to allocate funds for a new arena.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Batum will be a free agent next summer.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 4
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 23
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17