Luol Deng watched Bulls dramatic win from hospital bed

May 6, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT

Instagram Instagram

I can imagine the alarms going off at the nurses station at a Chicago hospital

“What is going on with Luol Deng, his blood pressure is going through the roof?”

“Oh, he’s just watching the Bulls game.”

Deng tweeted out where he watched the Bulls Game 1 win from.

He attached the picture you see to the right.

Deng had a spinal tap to test for meningitis, and there has been complications since then. He has been in and out of the hospital since then and did not make the trip with the team to Miami. It’s unclear when or if he will be back this series — but they could certainly use him, the Bulls were +19 points per 48 minutes against the Heat this season when he played.

Most importantly, he just needs to get well. But if that happens and he returns this series gets more interesting — and it is already pretty darn interesting after one game.

1. brutl - May 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Yeah, it must have been the bed.

2. rickyspanish - May 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I feel bad for this guy, his week has been terrible.

3. sepl12 - May 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I’m not a heat fan, but I had hoped to see a 16-0 playoffs. now that that’s out of the question, the bulls knocking them off without rose would be fantastic.

4. melkipershero - May 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Wouldnt the bigger story if he didnt watch the game? You gotta think he wont come back for a while and if he does just wont be the same. Luckily Butler is a freakin stud.

5. shuttaman1990 - May 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Look at this, the team playing hard.
    Luol Deng stuck to a hospital bed.
    While you got Rose scared straight to play.

Rose=loser. He’s less than a man.

• andyhr17 - May 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Ummm….A knee can stop you from playing basketball while not keeping you in the hospital. Just sayin’.

Wouldn’t the person who is less than the man be the one who anonymously insults people like that on the internet?

• thraiderskin - May 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

If I could… I would tell Rose he is less than a man to his face. Unfortunately, I do not live in Chicago and I doubt we’d travel in the same circles even if I did. Rose deserved every bit of criticism he gets. His team is clawing and scratching like the tough team they are, how ALL games are meant to be played. I understand not rushing yourself, but how long ago was he cleared to play? At some point, its ok to start questions a man’s legitimacy, its not bullying, its not fandom, its not expecting something amazing. I hope the Bulls win all and when its time to present rings, Rose doesn’t get one, its not like he played a part in getting it. Look at Deng, do you not think he would be playing if he could?

• andyhr17 - May 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Really? That’s not fandom? Telling another guy he should play because YOU believe he should play? That sounds like being a stereotypical, idiotic fanatic.

And yes, I’m sure you’d walk right up to Rose and tell him to your face. It’s really easy to be so tough behind a keyboard.

• chitownmatt - May 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Enough of the DRose hate talk already.

If the guy was 38 and at the end of his career and looking at his last run in the playoffs… maybe?

But he is 24 and needs to think about the future.

Grant Hill wasted his career because he played injured and did serious damage to his legs that never healed.

D Rose needs to take all the freakin’ time he wants… you don’t rush back from an ACL/MCL… hell, most guys never come back at all.

• thraiderskin - May 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I want to appologize to you Andyhr17, I think I hurt your feelings. I should have never sunk to the level of talking about real life confrontation, but I do want to clarify it first: It would take a guy, a hellavu a lot bigger than D. Rose to scare me off from saying something to a guys face. Obviously there is no way to prove this, so let’s move along.
        I’m not saying I disagree with Rose’s decision to wait a little while longer, but he was cleared over two months ago (barely). He has been out for over 370 days which is more than a hundred than both Adrian Peterson (who plays a physically more rigorous position and injured much more) and Shumpert from the Knicks. I see his team mates MAN’ing up to try to do something great and I am confused how he can just sit there months after being cleared, not offering up any minutes. I’m not saying throw him to the wolves, I’m saying let him come off the bench. I realize he has his future to look out for, but when does that argument wear out? If there was a time to be great, this is one of those times. I actually think your refusal to admit it appears weak not to get out there with your team in the playoffs as idiotic fandom. But as Noah said, since I’ve never been the starting PG for the Bulls in the playoffs, I should just shut up. Its a good thing our political system and our first amendment isn’t designed with that line of thinking.

• shuttaman1990 - May 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM

@chittowmat and anyone else
        You think Kobe at 23 years old(when they three peated turned 24 in august) would have been like this with the lakers in the playoffs?
        EVEN WIT A DOMINANT SHAQ KOBE WOULD HAVE BEEN BACK AS SOON AS THE DOCTORS GAVE HIM THE OK!

D.rose just does not have the heart of a champion. If im the bulls I trade him away to OKC for Westbrook and some draft picks/players.(ppl might call me crazy but in the end it would be a heist for chicago because D rose will not be a better player than Westbrook in the end)

• gmsingh - May 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Is it safe to say that if Rose was confined to a hospital bed he would immediately retire?

• shuttaman1990 - May 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Yup!

6. Mr. Wright 212 - May 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

How is this guy going to play in this series? He looks like he got hit by a bus. Hopefully, he recovers for his own sake.

7. dnbajunkie - May 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Get well soon Luol!!

8. badintent - May 7, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Could be a staph infection, hospitals don’t like to talk about them , lawsuits appear out of thin air.Get Well Luo and come back soon.

9. andyhr17 - May 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I just imagine him watching the game from his hospital bed getting all worked up like coach Lou Brown in Major League 2.

10. chitownmatt - May 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Get well Lou!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches