May 6, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
In the Greatest Of All Time discussion Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gets short shrift. Maybe it’s because he was 7-feet tall and because of his fundamentals made it look too easy, but the man has six championship rings, a couple finals MVPs, 18 All-Star Games and he scored more points than any player ever in the NBA. He should be in the conversation.
And he has six MVPs, a record for most by one player.
But Kareem thinks LeBron James — who officially was given his fourth MVP on Sunday — could break that record. That’s what Abdul-Jabbar told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“As long as LeBron stays healthy and keeps playing the game at a high level, he, of course, could break my record,’’ Abdul-Jabbar wrote in an email to FOX Sports Florida minutes after James had been awarded his latest trophy. “The challenges he faces are getting injured or losing interest.’’
Considering LeBron is 28 years old, he very well could win two or three more. He’s good enough, he’s in the prime of his career and already has four.
Certainly injuries could be a setback. So could voter fatigue — he’s won two in a row and if Kevin Durant or a healthy Derrick Rose or a handful of other guys has a monster season that approaches LeBron they could get the votes they need.
Still, LeBron’s on a historic pace. In 15 years we very well could be talking about him the way we talk about Kareem and the other elites the game has seen.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 0
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13