May 6, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
In the Greatest Of All Time discussion Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gets short shrift. Maybe it’s because he was 7-feet tall and because of his fundamentals made it look too easy, but the man has six championship rings, a couple finals MVPs, 18 All-Star Games and he scored more points than any player ever in the NBA. He should be in the conversation.
And he has six MVPs, a record for most by one player.
But Kareem thinks LeBron James — who officially was given his fourth MVP on Sunday — could break that record. That’s what Abdul-Jabbar told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“As long as LeBron stays healthy and keeps playing the game at a high level, he, of course, could break my record,’’ Abdul-Jabbar wrote in an email to FOX Sports Florida minutes after James had been awarded his latest trophy. “The challenges he faces are getting injured or losing interest.’’
Considering LeBron is 28 years old, he very well could win two or three more. He’s good enough, he’s in the prime of his career and already has four.
Certainly injuries could be a setback. So could voter fatigue — he’s won two in a row and if Kevin Durant or a healthy Derrick Rose or a handful of other guys has a monster season that approaches LeBron they could get the votes they need.
Still, LeBron’s on a historic pace. In 15 years we very well could be talking about him the way we talk about Kareem and the other elites the game has seen.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 2
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 19
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25