May 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Already we have reached the point where ridiculous trade proposals get put out there and need to be shot down….
The proposal allegedly being discussed was Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Clippers for Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and Caron Butler. Then Doc Rivers would walk away from the Celtics this summer and sign on to coach the Clippers in place of a canned Vinny Del Negro.
There is a better chance I replace Kate Upton as next year’s cover person for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue than there is of this happening.
I’ll approach this from the Clippers side first — you think they are going to trade 24-year-old Griffin for the Garnett who needs offseason ankle surgery and has one or two years left in him? And Paul Pierce, who also is aging and then will retire in a couple years? CP3 and Griffin have a good relationship, by the way. But you’re going to get Paul to re-sign as a free agent by trading away one of the franchise cornerstones on the court — let alone a key to team marketing? Plus the Clips surrender a quality young PG in Eric Bledsoe, all for a couple declining players at the end of their career who can’t win a title right now even if they were with Paul?
There isn’t enough Scotch in the world to get even Donald Sterling to sign off on that.
Would Danny Ainge do this deal? Yes. Probably. But this is pretty much his wet dream deal; it’s not anywhere close to reality.
Do you think Garnett would waive his no-trade clause for that? I doubt it, he wouldn’t have at the trade deadline when a deal for just DeAndre Jordan was rumored, why would he now?
And do you really think Doc Rivers would bolt the Celtics to coach the Clippers like that? Come on now.
The Clippers know they need to add a piece to Griffin/Paul, not move half the combo away. Los Angeles had hoped DeAndre Jordan would be that guy, but he’s not. Still the Clippers are looking to add, not subtract.
Anyway, this is your idiotic rumor that is not going to happen for today. Let’s move on, shall we.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8