May 6, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
Do you really think, after more than a year off from competitive basketball to heal his torn ACL, Derrick Rose is going to return against the defending champion Miami Heat so LeBron James can guard him?
But for reasons nobody can explain he will not shut the door on the possibility of a comeback this season. And while Tom Thibodeau and the Bulls players have had Rose’s back and support him, they also are really sick of answering the same question every day because Rose just can’t say no. When we all know the answer is no.
Rose said Monday that his status is “still up in the air. I might have a chance,” although coach Tom Thibodeau ruled him out for Game 1….
Asked if he owes it to his teammates to be on the court, Rose said Monday: “Everybody has their own opinion. The key words that he said is, ‘if I’m ready.’ Right now, I’m not ready so I’m just trying to take my time and just really, really be smart.”
Being smart would have been to say with 10 games left in the season he was not coming back this year. I will continue to defend his right and his decision to return when he feels ready — only he gets to make that call. But he should have killed the speculation long ago. To leave this hanging out there while Joakim Noah is playing on one leg, while Kirk Hinrich is trying to get back from a calf injury, when Luol Deng is trying to get back following complications from a spinal tap, while Nate Robinson is playing through the flu, it all just makes Rose look bad. And Bulls fans are killing him for it.
By the way, Deng is out for Game 1, and while Hinrich is officially a game-time decision he is not expected to go. That’s the real Bulls injury story; the Rose thing is just a ridiculous soap opera now.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 16
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11